The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who may propose a change to bylaws?

Guest canoesmith

Many members of my group want a change that the leadership does not support. The leadership group creates bylaws committees of persons with similar opinions who generally bring no changes back to the membership for the body to act upon. If changes were brought they probably would pass, but politics plays a role. My question is, can an individual member or a small group of members propose an amendment to the bylaws themselves, without committee involvement? This would then be announced 30 days prior and acted upon of the floor where it may pass. The question is does it have to come from the Board committee or can it come from an individual or small group of the membership? Thanks

This is what is in my bylaws regarding amending the bylaws. SO since it does not say how amendments may come to the floor, there are no restrictions and an individual member can cause an amendment to be discusses and voted upon - correct?

CHAPTER XII

Amendment of By-Laws

These By-Laws may be amended by an affirmative vote of three-fifths of the Principal member representative, provided that no vote will be taken on the proposal to amend these By-Laws unless written notice to all Principal Members is mailed at least 30 days prior to such vote being taken.

Archived