The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting Minutes

troll119

How does RONR define "with regrets"?

It's times like these I wish I had the searchable CD version, so I could say with complete authority, "it doesn't." (Still, I'm pretty darn sure it doesn't)

You're either present or you ain't, no matter how you feel about your situation, and that's that. (There have been some meetings I've been present with regrets, but it was also irrelevant.)

What signifies when to show someone absent "with regrets" or simply just absent. How does RONR define "with regrets"?

It would depend largely on whether they had expressed regrets at not being there, as opposed to a preference for being elsewhere. In either case, the parliamentary significance would appear to be negligible.

• 8 months later...

I just want to make sure I'm documenting things correctly. Here's the scenario:

Mike let us know before the meeting that he would not be able to attend. 2 others simply did not attend - they did not let me know (they did not "send regrets").

So would i just put who was present and then put Regrets: Mike??

I just want to make sure I'm documenting things correctly. Here's the scenario:

Mike let us know before the meeting that he would not be able to attend. 2 others simply did not attend - they did not let me know (they did not "send regrets").

So would i just put who was present and then put Regrets: Mike??

So far as RONR is concerned, all that belongs in the minutes regarding attendance is "the fact that the regular chairman and secretary were present or, in their absence, the names of the persons who substituted for them" (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 468, lines 33-35).

There is no need to record whether any of the other members were present or absent, or whether they regretted it in either case.

In our bylaws it states that if an Officer misses two consecutive meetings which are unexcused. They may be removed from office. In this situation the minutes should include those Officers present.

Well, certainly in an organization with attendance requirements, the attendance would need to be recorded somewhere, although there is no reason it would necessarily have to be in the minutes. Such organizations will have to interpret their own customized rules to determine how exactly the attendance should be recorded. There are no attendance requirements in RONR, so it does not address the subject.

Archived