The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amendments

Guest Guest-Deb

How many times are you able to make an amendment before you need to vote on an amendment?

We had a situation at a meeting on Saturday where the original motion was made:

I move that we spend "x" number of dollars to purchase supplies for The Teaching School.

Another person then amended it to increase the "x" number of dollars amount.

Another person then amended it to change from purchasing supplies towards purchasing a specific item.

Another person then amended it to change the "x" number of dollars amount again to cover the cost entire cost of the specific item.

Another person then amended it to change the "x" number of dollars to an amount that would be added to the amount donated by the individual chapters to purchase an even more expenseive specific item.

This went on for a few more amendments before a vote was taken.

Was this acceptable or should the amendments have been voted upon and ruled out before the next one was entertained?

Thanks

Answer:

the amendments should have been voted upon before the next one was entertained.

That is what I thought, but have been looking for the exact page and section in RONR and cannot find it. Any clue where it is so I can present it to them at the next meeting?

That is what I thought, but have been looking for the exact page and section in RONR and cannot find it. Any clue where it is so I can present it to them at the next meeting?

Start at page 127, line 30 and over to page 128 with focus on lines 7-9 regarding amendments of the third degree.

The section on Amend is the largest in the book, and it gets a bit involved, so if you decide to take in the whole chapter, you'll want to remember to stay hydrated.

and don't forget the basic principle of one motion pending at a time. Your original question (how many times) did not lead me to expect the example you gave. Seems your problem is more one of the procedure for handling amendments than the actual number (though I may well be splitting hairs. Your example of the 1st amendment was the change the amount of money. That's the one motion before the assembly. The 2nd amendment you cite (purchasing a specific item) went back to amend the original motion and did not deal with the motion currently on the floor which was to change the amount of money. 1 thing at a time. It should've been ruled out of order, and not allowed until the amount of money amendment had been handled.

Your example of the 1st amendment was the change the amount of money. That's the one motion before the assembly. The 2nd amendment you cite (purchasing a specific item) went back to amend the original motion and did not deal with the motion currently on the floor which was to change the amount of money. 1 thing at a time. It should've been ruled out of order, and not allowed until the amount of money amendment had been handled.

Well, the motion before the assembly was

... that we spend "x" number of dollars to purchase supplies for The Teaching School.

The primary amendment moved was

... to increase the "x" number of dollars amount.

I would think the secondary amendment

...to change from purchasing supplies towards purchasing a specific item.

rather than be ruled out of order could have been moved as a substitute.

What actually happened is a whole 'nother thing, of course.

Well, the motion before the assembly was

... that we spend "x" number of dollars to purchase supplies for The Teaching School.

The primary amendment moved was

... to increase the "x" number of dollars amount.

Could have been moved as a substitute for what? It is not in order to move a substitute for the main motion while an amendment is pending.

I can't see that, either. The immediately pending matter is an amendment to raise the amount x. The motion to amend "supplies" to "specific item n" is an amendment to the main motion, not the pending amendment, isn't it?

Not that it could never be in order, but it isn't at the time it was raised, because another amendment was pending.

Could have been moved as a substitute for what? It is not in order to move a substitute for the main motion while an amendment is pending.

Unless there's already a motion to substitute pending, in which case it is in order to do so.

It's in order to move a substitute for a substitute, but it's not at all clear that it is in order to move a substitute for the main motion while a motion to amend by substitution is pending.

You might want to review this thread:

http://robertsrules....dary-amendment/

Was this acceptable or should the amendments have been voted upon and ruled out before the next one was entertained?

What happened was certainly not acceptable. Secondary amendments (an amendment to an amendment) are in order, but must be germane to the pending amendment. Tertiary amendments (an amendment to an amendment to an amendment) are not in order, because it's too confusing. Some of the amendments could have been made as secondary amendments, but certainly the big long chain of them should not have all been permitted to be pending at once.

It's in order to move a substitute for a substitute, but it's not at all clear that it is in order to move a substitute for the main motion while a motion to amend by substitution is pending.

You might want to review this thread:

http://robertsrules....dary-amendment/

Oh, don't bother to wade through all that; just take my word for it that it is not in order to move a substitute for the main motion while a motion to amend by substitution is pending. :)

Archived