The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing Rules

Guest JayW

I think this one is RONR-related!

We have a number of standing rules that have never been compiled into a single document. I'm starting to do that, for a variety of reasons, not least of which is the general aging of our membership! If I understand RONR correctly, standing rules can be adopted by a majority vote, and amended by a 2/3 vote without notice or a majority vote with notice. I would assume (yes, I know) that since our Bylaws state that the general management of the Club is left to Board, then an appropriate vote of Board members could adopt or amend the Standing Rules. (I know I don't have to include the procedure for adopting/amending the standing rules in the Standing Rules document, but could I to provide guidance for those who come after me? Maybe include "If the policies for amending/adopting described in the current version of RONR conflict with these policies, RONR takes precedence." Hm - maybe it would be easier to just leave it out entirely!)

Also, a couple of questions about what's a Standing Rule and what should be in our Bylaws. We're considering adding an Associate member category, non-voting, non-office-holding. Our Bylaws describe the general requirements for membership (basically, must have two sponsors from within the Club). If we decide to waive the sponsorship requirement for Associate members, would that have to go in the Bylaws or could that be a Standing Rule?

Also, if we have different dues amounts for different types of membership (if we want to charge lower dues for Associate members, for example), do we have to say that in the Bylaws? Right now our Bylaws say that the Board sets the dues, and there shall be one fee for regular members and one for husband and wife (no specific dues amounts are mentioned; those are already in our Standing Rules). I'd like to get rid of that second part entirely, and just note that the Board sets the dues. The fees for regular members, Associates, household, etc. would be part of the Standing Rules. Can we do that, or must the fact that there may be a dues differential be noted in the Bylaws?

Thanks, as always, for any insight! It seems when it rains, it pours!

I think this one is RONR-related!

We have a number of standing rules that have never been compiled into a single document. I'm starting to do that, for a variety of reasons, not least of which is the general aging of our membership! If I understand RONR correctly, standing rules can be adopted by a majority vote, and amended by a 2/3 vote without notice or a majority vote with notice. I would assume (yes, I know) that since our Bylaws state that the general management of the Club is left to Board, then an appropriate vote of Board members could adopt or amend the Standing Rules. (I know I don't have to include the procedure for adopting/amending the standing rules in the Standing Rules document, but could I to provide guidance for those who come after me? Maybe include "If the policies for amending/adopting described in the current version of RONR conflict with these policies, RONR takes precedence." Hm - maybe it would be easier to just leave it out entirely!)

Also, a couple of questions about what's a Standing Rule and what should be in our Bylaws. We're considering adding an Associate member category, non-voting, non-office-holding. Our Bylaws describe the general requirements for membership (basically, must have two sponsors from within the Club). If we decide to waive the sponsorship requirement for Associate members, would that have to go in the Bylaws or could that be a Standing Rule?

Also, if we have different dues amounts for different types of membership (if we want to charge lower dues for Associate members, for example), do we have to say that in the Bylaws? Right now our Bylaws say that the Board sets the dues, and there shall be one fee for regular members and one for husband and wife (no specific dues amounts are mentioned; those are already in our Standing Rules). I'd like to get rid of that second part entirely, and just note that the Board sets the dues. The fees for regular members, Associates, household, etc. would be part of the Standing Rules. Can we do that, or must the fact that there may be a dues differential be noted in the Bylaws?

Thanks, as always, for any insight! It seems when it rains, it pours!

These things need to be included in the bylaws. See RONR (10th ed.), pp. 554, 555.

I would assume (yes, I know) that since our Bylaws state that the general management of the Club is left to Board, then an appropriate vote of Board members could adopt or amend the Standing Rules.

No. The board may not adopt standing rules unless authorized by the Bylaws or the general membership. If the board is authorized to adopt standing rules, it may amend standing rules it has adopted, but it may not amend standing rules adopted by the general membership.

(I know I don't have to include the procedure for adopting/amending the standing rules in the Standing Rules document, but could I to provide guidance for those who come after me?

I wouldn't.

Maybe include "If the policies for amending/adopting described in the current version of RONR conflict with these policies, RONR takes precedence."

Policies for amending/adopting are special rules of order, not standing rules, and would take precedence over RONR. This rule would just muddy the issues.

Hm - maybe it would be easier to just leave it out entirely!)

Yes.

We're considering adding an Associate member category, non-voting, non-office-holding. Our Bylaws describe the general requirements for membership (basically, must have two sponsors from within the Club). If we decide to waive the sponsorship requirement for Associate members, would that have to go in the Bylaws or could that be a Standing Rule? ...

Also, if we have different dues amounts for different types of membership (if we want to charge lower dues for Associate members, for example), do we have to say that in the Bylaws? ...

Can we do that, or must the fact that there may be a dues differential be noted in the Bylaws?

These all belong in the Bylaws.

Thank you both for your responses. Just to clarify, we must include in our bylaws that a different fee will be charged for an Associate or Household membership (can we say "may be charged"?), but can we leave the actual amount of the dues as a Standing Rule?

Thank you both for your responses. Just to clarify, we must include in our bylaws that a different fee will be charged for an Associate or Household membership (can we say "may be charged"?), but can we leave the actual amount of the dues as a Standing Rule?

Well, you're going to need to put something in the Bylaws regarding this matter. I think it would be appropriate, for instance to simply state that, "The board shall set the dues for each class of membership by standing rule" or something to that effect, and leave the specifics to standing rules. It's perfectly acceptable (and quite common) to relegate such details to standing rules.

What you can't do is just adopt standing rules which conflict with the Bylaws. How much exactly you wish to put in the Bylaws and how much you want to put in the standing rules is up to the society, so long as the standing rules do not attempt to "work-around" the Bylaws.

Yes, although it would be best to make a statement to that effect in the Bylaws.

My own sense if that the amount of the periodic dues is a part of the contractual or quasi-contractual agreement between the members who are associating, so the amount should be included in the governing documents. The sample bylaw in RONR (10th ed.), p. 566, ll. 6-8, is useful as an example.

Archived