The Official RONR Q & A Forums

resignation

Guest Tom S

Board member resigns in person to board of directors, presiding officer accepts resignation. Resigned board member leaves meeting. Does there have to be a vote by the board or is the presiding officers acceptance of the resignation

in force?

Unless the bylaws have a vacancy filling provision whichever body elected the Board member would vote on whether to accept the resignation. If there is a vacancy filling provision the body that fills the vacancy would also accept the resignation.

Unless the bylaws have a vacancy filling provision whichever body elected the Board member would vote on whether to accept the resignation. If there is a vacancy filling provision the body that fills the vacancy would also accept the resignation.

If the Board is the vacancy filling entity, would you say then that this is a case of "assumed" general consent in that no Board member raised any objection at the time, therefore the resignation was accepted?

If the Board is the vacancy filling entity, would you say then that this is a case of "assumed" general consent in that no Board member raised any objection at the time, therefore the resignation was accepted?

I don't think it would be because the President was exceeding his authority in accepting the resignation (unless the bylaws grant him that authority) and the Board may not have known that it was up to them to accept the resignation. Now, as soon as the Board fills the vacancy then the resignation was in effect accepted since you can't fill a vacancy when one doesn't exist.

I don't see that a rule empowering the board to fill a vacancy necessarily gives it the authority to accept a resignation.

I don't see that a rule empowering the board to fill a vacancy necessarily gives it the authority to accept a resignation.

The entire purpose of authorizing a board to fill a vacancy is so that the board may fill vacancies arising between meetings of the general membership, particularly when the general membership meets infrequently. This purpose would be defeated if the board was unable to accept the resignation.

The entire purpose of authorizing a board to fill a vacancy is so that the board may fill vacancies arising between meetings of the general membership, particularly when the general membership meets infrequently. This purpose would be defeated if the board was unable to accept the resignation.

This seems like an overstatement, since accepting resignations is not intrinsically tied to filling vacancies. An organization may want to empower a board to fill vacancies that arrise from various causes without allowing it to excuse persons from important duties.

If others on this forum think that the power to fill a vacancy is inalienably linked to the authority to accept a resignation, I would like hear those opinions. This is an interesting topic.

This seems like an overstatement, since accepting resignations is not intrinsically tied to filling vacancies. An organization may want to empower a board to fill vacancies that arrise from various causes without allowing it to excuse persons from important duties.

If others on this forum think that the power to fill a vacancy is inalienably linked to the authority to accept a resignation, I would like hear those opinions. This is an interesting topic.

Well, I think that if the bylaws authorize the board to fill vacancies in an office, this carries with it the power to accept a resignation from that office (unless the bylaws expressly provide otherwise).

That this is so will, I think, become clearer in the next edition, but I believe it to be so even now.

Archived