The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Confidential letter

cam

I was a member of the nominating committee.

Yeah, but you told us some of what he said in the letter. Even if we were able to give you some hard and fast rule stating that the President could require the letter be kept confidential you kinda already let the cat out of the bag and it is now busy tearing up the furniture. :D

While he was President of our Mobile Home Park our president sent the nominating committee a letter he marked as confidential. In it amoung other things he stated that are park has been neglected and mismanaged for many years.

Is that it? He expressed an opinion? Or is there more (and feel free to honor the confidentiality here, please) in the letter that might open up the former President to some kind of disciplinary proceedings?

While this is not really a parliamentary question (so far), there may be more to it. As yet, there isn't much if anything that Robert's Rules will help you with. I do think that stamping the envelope "confidential" was a bit more than a request by the president, and by opening the envelope, you (the Nominating Committee) agreed to that stipulation. But that's just an unconfidential opinion.

Are we obliged to keep this letter confidential?

RONR places no such obligation on the committee. Since the letter was addressed to the committee, it seems to me the committee should decide (by majority vote) whether the letter should be kept confidential. I would advise that individual members keep the letter confidential until the committee has made a decision.

That, at least, is my advice from a parliamentary perspective. If there are potential legal concerns involved (which seems plausible when confidential letters are getting tossed about), I would also advise consulting a lawyer before moving forward.

Yeah, but you told us some of what he said in the letter. Even if we were able to give you some hard and fast rule stating that the President could require the letter be kept confidential you kinda already let the cat out of the bag and it is now busy tearing up the furniture. :D

Oh, come on. The original poster has not disclosed any information which would enable us to identify which mobile home park he's talking about. I think he's fine.

I do think that stamping the envelope "confidential" was a bit more than a request by the president, and by opening the envelope, you (the Nominating Committee) agreed to that stipulation. But that's just an unconfidential opinion.

This is, I take it, just your personal opinion on ethics? I do not believe there is any parliamentary basis to suggest that a stamp places any stipulations on a committee receiving a letter, I'm not qualified to comment on any legal issues which might be involved.

Archived