The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaws - election of officers

Guest paul koz

The bylaws for the organization of which I am a member contains two conflicting dates for the election of officers. I and others have asked for clarification but have not been able to get any conclusive answers. We have a general meeting coming up and I would like to know how I would go about asking for clarification at the general meeting. What would be the proper procedure for bringing up this topic?

The bylaws for the organization of which I am a member contains two conflicting dates for the election of officers. I and others have asked for clarification but have not been able to get any conclusive answers. We have a general meeting coming up and I would like to know how I would go about asking for clarification at the general meeting. What would be the proper procedure for bringing up this topic?

I am not sure if clarification is going to help if there are two conflicting dates in the bylaws. However, check the bylaws to make sure that they aren't talking about elections for two separate groups of officers. For example, one date might be for electing Board members while the other one is to elect the other officers or one date could be for electing Board members and the other date could be for the Board to elect their own officers. If the dates are truly conflicting you will need to amend the bylaws to get rid of the conflict.

I'm curious why you think you'll get any better answer at a meeting than you've already gotten by asking informally? In any event, you might make a Parliamentary Inquiry (see page 281, RONR 10th Ed.) and see where that gets you.

You should also consider amending the bylaws, and/or moving a motion to decide on an interpretation of the conflicting clauses in the interim, especially if the chair can't provide a firm and reasonable answer.

Another thing to do is to check and see if one of the dates arises because of an amendment to the bylaws. If so, it would most likely be the correct date. I use "most likely" as it is up to your organization to interpret the meaning of your bylaws.

Archived