The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes

Guest Lynette

I am a volunteer member of a city committee. A city employee takes minutes. We regulary receive the minutes the day before our monthly meeting. We repeatedly ask to receive them no later than two weeks after our meeting, but are told that she is too busy. The Department Head told me that he researched this topic on Robert's Rules and that there is no requirement to have the minutes available earlier than the next meeting. Is this correct?

Thank you, Lynette

I am a volunteer member of a city committee. A city employee takes minutes. We regulary receive the minutes the day before our monthly meeting. We repeatedly ask to receive them no later than two weeks after our meeting, but are told that she is too busy. The Department Head told me that he researched this topic on Robert's Rules and that there is no requirement to have the minutes available earlier than the next meeting. Is this correct?

Thank you, Lynette

Yes, it's correct. If a member of the committee wants to take a look at RONR (10th ed.), p. 451-456, he just might be able to show this city employee just how easy minute taking can be and how quickly minutes can be prepared.

If a member of the committee wants to take a look at RONR (10th ed.), p. 451-456, he just might be able to show this city employee just how easy minute taking can be and how quickly minutes can be prepared.

Well, the minutes of public bodies are usually much more detailed than what is recommended by RONR (often due to requirements in the rules of the body or a superior body). Since the individual is an employee of the city, it would be wise for him to check with his bosses before paring the minutes down to the RONR minimum.

Archived