The Official RONR Q & A Forums

In Good Standing

Guest Mike

Our organization is heading into its annual elections and a situation is presenting itself that some are having a difficult time with. A candidate for Vice President is currently on probation through the end of 2011. Not that the reason for being on probation is a factor, but for the purpose of my posting this request for guidance, I will elaborate a bit.

We are a youth sports organization. The candidate for Vice President sent what some interpreted as a threatening E-Mail to all of the coaches in the league. He had expressed his frustrations over certain issues within the league and told that coaches that if any coach took it out on his son, they would see a side of them that would regret. Our disciplinary review board convened and put him on probation for a period of one year.

In any case, our by laws do not mention the words "in good standing" as it relates to being able to coach or run for office. Our by laws also state that if something is not covered, we will default to Roberts Rules of Order for clarification

I respect the opinions and guidance of the people on this forum and would appreciate any insight that you can offer.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Our organization is heading into its annual elections and a situation is presenting itself that some are having a difficult time with. A candidate for Vice President is currently on probation through the end of 2011. Not that the reason for being on probation is a factor, but for the purpose of my posting this request for guidance, I will elaborate a bit.

We are a youth sports organization. The candidate for Vice President sent what some interpreted as a threatening E-Mail to all of the coaches in the league. He had expressed his frustrations over certain issues within the league and told that coaches that if any coach took it out on his son, they would see a side of them that would regret. Our disciplinary review board convened and put him on probation for a period of one year.

In any case, our by laws do not mention the words "in good standing" as it relates to being able to coach or run for office. Our by laws also state that if something is not covered, we will default to Roberts Rules of Order for clarification

I respect the opinions and guidance of the people on this forum and would appreciate any insight that you can offer.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Since you didn't pose a question, I'll make one up for you:

Q: If our bylaws do not define a specific disqualification for office, might it be found in RONR?

A: No. RONR does not dictate any qualifications or disqualifications for office. That's up to the organization... and the voters. ;)

In Good Standing: (expanding a bit...)

When RONR uses the term "member in good standing" (RONR, p. 6, l. 20-21, p. 279, l. 34-35, & p. 585, l. 7-8) it is referring to a member whose membership rights are not in suspension, either as a consequence of disciplinary proceedings (Chapter XX) or by operation of some specific provision in the bylaws of the organization.

Unfortunately, the current edition of the book doesn't actually state this definition (although it was written by a member of the RONR Authorship Team). So if you use the phrase "in good standing" in the bylaws be sure to define exactly what you mean: what causes a member not to be in good standing, what he has to do to get back into the good graces of the association, &c. Also, you should specify which membership rights, duties, privileges, &c. are lost (or retained) by a member as a consequence of his being in "bad standing" because of a suspension, as distinct from his being in good standing or ceasing to be a member at all.

When RONR uses the term "member in good standing" (RONR, p. 6, l. 20-21, p. 279, l. 34-35, & p. 585, l. 7-8) it is referring to a member whose membership rights are not in suspension, either as a consequence of disciplinary proceedings (Chapter XX) or by operation of some specific provision in the bylaws of the organization.

Unfortunately, the current edition of the book doesn't actually state this definition (although it was written by a member of the RONR Authorship Team). So if you use the phrase "in good standing" in the bylaws be sure to define exactly what you mean: what causes a member not to be in good standing, what he has to do to get back into the good graces of the association, &c. Also, you should specify which membership rights, duties, privileges, &c. are lost (or retained) by a member as a consequence of his being in "bad standing" because of a suspension, as distinct from his being in good standing or ceasing to be a member at all.

Yes, but the Bylaws do NOT mention the words "in good standing," so I think the question is even simpler. The VP is eligible. If the voters don't like it, they can vote for someone else.

Yes, but the Bylaws do NOT mention the words "in good standing," so I think the question is even simpler. The VP is eligible. If the voters don't like it, they can vote for someone else.

The 11th edition clarifies both points: (1) That (of course!) Dan Honemann's definition of "in good standing" is the official one, and (2) Anyone is eligible for office in an ordinary (non-secret) society except as stated in the bylaws -- that is, regardless of any "established practice" of disallowing nonmembers to hold office (as referred to in the 10th edition).

Archived