The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to express it - appeal

Guest Loose

Hypothetical: The President failed to get proper meeting notice out. I call him on it and explain that all we can do is adjourn. He protests and disagrees. I put it to the assembly in the form of an appeal. (Seems improper to debate something as patent as whether you should follow the rules...don't you just vote on it? But it's not about undecorum or order of business and so it should be debatable...)

In either case, after debate or not, the President should bring it to a vote and say something like: "All in favor of holding a meeting without proper notice say Aye?"

or maybe...

"All in favor of website notification constituting proper notice say Aye?"

(The President merely posted notice on the web. He didn't send out an email or mail out a bulletin.)

No. You raised a Point of Order that the meeting was invalidly called because of xyz and the President ruled the Point Not Well Taken. You then should make your Appeal saying " I appeal from the decision of the chair" and the Appeal would need a second. The Appeal is debatable because though you may feel that it is a simple matter of following the rules depending on the wording in the bylaws there could be more than one reasonable interpretation to what proper notice is. After debate the Chair should state the question of "Shall the decision of the chair stand as the judgment of the assembly [or "club," "society," "board," etc.]?" or "Shall the decision of the chair be sustained?" and put the question by saying "Those in favor of sustaining the chair's decision, say aye. . . . Those opposed to sustaining this decision, say no." (RONR p. 251).

Archived