The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations, nominees and nominating committee

nicurn82

After receiving nominations, a request went out to nominees if you wish to accept this nomination, please send us your bio and mission statement by a particular date. The date came and went. 1. The four people who did respond are looking to submit their bios and be put on the ballot after the deadline. 2. The nominating committee wishes to juggle the people on the ballot to different positions to "balance it out". Should you/can you accept requests after a deadline? Can you change the position of nominees other than what they were nominated for? And everyone on the nominating committee wants their guys to win and all of them have missed the deadline. Other nominees were able to submit what was requested in a timely manner.

Of course I agree with Mr Elsman (which I do when I know what’s good for me). When, as here, with OP nicum82’s post, the questions that are asked indicate that a variant procedure -- not Robert’s Rules’ -- is being used, the specific answers to just those questions can be misleading.

So I’ll venture here. As far as Robert’s Rules is concerned, the job of a nominating committee is to recommend nominees -- to nominate people -- for the voters to consider. Presumably the committee decides who the best candidate for each open office is, and recommends him or her. Anything else you want the nominating committee to do is your own group’s idea. RONR doesn’t require bios or mission statements from any candidates. The committee can nominate anyone to whatever office the NomCom wants, and is not prevented from someone to a an office the candidate does not want, and it likewise can choose not to nominate someone for an office that he wants and is well-qualified for. (Sounds like a bad idea to me, though.)

The NomCom can set whatever deadlines it likes for its own purposes. (But it can not change or violate any deadlines that its parent body imposes on it.)

Maybe there’s more.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish to resign from a three year term. What is the proper way to do this

A new question should be posted as a new topic, not a reply to an existing topic.

That said, the correct procedure to submit a resignation would be to contact the person or body who appointed or elected you (or its secretary) and inform that person you wish to resign. You must continue to perform the duties of your position, if possible, until that person or body has had a reasonable chance to act on your resignation.

And just to clarify, a "resignation is submitted in writing, addressed to the secretary or appointing power; alternatively, it may be submitted during a meeting either orally or in writing." (RONR 11th Ed. p. 291 ll.3-6, emphasis added) So it isn't appropriate to simply phone the secretary and tender your resignation.

I wish to resign from a three year term. What is the proper way to do this

It is best to start a new thread for your new question -- this forum works better that way.

Just inform the body (the body that has the authority to fill the vacancy) that you wish to resign. This is a request to be excused from a duty. The resignation takes effect when it is accepted by that body. If your bylaws set out different procedures, follow the bylaws.

The request, according to RONR, should be submitted in writing to the secretary or appointing power, or it could be submitted, orally or in writing, during a meeting (RONR 11th ed. p. 291).

• 4 weeks later...

Our By-Laws require the membership election of 5 members to a Nominating Committee. Do you take the first 5 names to be presented or continue to accept names from the floor and then go to a ballot vote if there are more than 5 people being nominated to the Nominating Committee?

Our By-Laws require the membership election of 5 members to a Nominating Committee. Do you take the first 5 names to be presented or continue to accept names from the floor and then go to a ballot vote if there are more than 5 people being nominated to the Nominating Committee?

It is up to your assembly. See RONR pp. 492-497. If your bylaws prescribe election, then you should use method a) or B). If your bylaws prescribe election by ballot, then you must use a). If you use an election method, then nominations should not be closed just because enough nominations have been received.

Archived