The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session and Agenda Items

Scott Brasch

I am the president of an NFP whose bylaws specifically state we follow RONR. For two years I have been trying to convince the General Membership that we have to follow RONR. I know have a general member in a broadcasted email asking the membership to adopt these initiatives:

1. All board meetings will be open to all members, open forum will always be included on the meeting agenda and members in attendance will be given the opportunity to speak during open forum.

2. No final action may be taken during an “executive session”. The general purpose of the motion to go into executive session must be stated. Executive session will be for discussion of its’ stated purpose only. The board must come out of “executive session” and back into the general, annual or special meeting to take any action, make a motion or vote on the item discussed.

My understanding is they do and I need confirmation please. I have my copy (arrived today of RONR 11) and executive session is still some what vague and doesn’t state that business can be conducted; although it doesn’t state it can’t either.

If you can please site pages so I can reference.

Sorry for the long post.

The default is that what is not said, is not meant. If RONR 11 does not say there are other restrictions, there aren't.

To put it in a more familiar way (at least, familiar to those who have been reading this august website forum for years, like me): "Nothing in RONR would prohibit it."

But more simply, look. The proceedings are what the assembly does. What it does, is business. What else could be said, other than defining "proceedings" as business transacted -- which would be unnecessary and superfluous, since the word means just what it does in plain English.

(BTW, in my opinion, and not just mine, those proposed restrictions on the board's use of executive session is a bad idea.)

Archived