The Official RONR Q & A Forums

membership

Bob

At a recent board meeting a life member (by virtue of large dues) got mad and resigned from the board as well as the club. The issue about the resignation is not germane to the membership... My feeling that the person should be listed as inactive and kept on the rolls allowing a change in the decision since there are no rules governing revocation except by inimical behavioras determined by the Board of Directors.

opinions please

I don't think the board should simply delay action. That is, by definition, dilatory.

If they want to go on record as not wishing him to resign, a better way is to consider a motion to accept the resignation, but vote the motion down.

If he remains insistent, the motion can always be renewed at a later date.

At a recent board meeting a life member (by virtue of large dues) got mad and resigned from the board as well as the club.

His "resignation" as a member of the club should be considered by the general membership, not the board (unless the board has been authorized to do so). I think his status as a "life" member is a red herring. Certainly he can't be forced to remain a member if he chooses not to. All that his "life" membership meant was that he didn't have to pay any additional dues as long as he chose to remain a member. He has apparently chosen not to.

My feeling that the person should be listed as inactive and kept on the rolls ......

Per RONR, there is only one class of membership, with full membership rights (attending meetings, making motions, debating, voting, etc), and would probably be considered (if you needed to define it) as "active." Any other would need to be defined in the bylaws, as you have apparently done with "life member." You're proposing changing his status to "inactive" (whatever that might mean), a membership class that would need to be defined in the bylaws or other rules.

Archived