The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Inclusion in minutes

chinafleet

At a recent 'open' Board meeting- 8 guests were present- one Board member preferred charges against another. She read her letter of charges before the meeting was adjourned and in the prenence of guests. The one being charged protested the presence of guests and the Board went into executive session (with no vote to so.)

Do the charges have to be in the minutes of the regular session? Or would the secretary just state XX read charges on XXX?

Thank you

At a recent 'open' Board meeting- 8 guests were present- one Board member preferred charges against another. She read her letter of charges before the meeting was adjourned and in the prenence of guests. The one being charged protested the presence of guests and the Board went into executive session (with no vote to so.)

Do the charges have to be in the minutes of the regular session? Or would the secretary just state XX read charges on XXX?

Thank you

There is no rule in RONR that the proceedings of an executive session have to be in separate minutes. The rule is that the proceedings must be kept secret.

The matter of preferring charges, I fear, was not done properly, but I suppose that's a different matter.

This looks like this topic, wherein I believe it was agreed that the member reading the letter to prefer charges was completely incidental to the fact that there was a meeting going on at the time. As a result, I see no reason that it should be recorded in the minutes at all, if all that happened was that a letter was read.

Thanks for your reply.

We put the minutes of the regular session of the BOD meeting in our newsletter, so guess a notation of the charges being read will have to go in there. Just not the details.

Not sure what we do, if anything, about how the charges were made. Our bylaws read:

Any member may prefer charges against a member for alleged misconduct prejudicial to the best interest of the club or the sport of purebred dogs. Written charges with specifications must be filed in duplicate with a $50.00 deposit with the Corresponding Secretary. The deposit shall be forfeited if the Board of Directors following a hearing does not sustain such charges. The Corresponding Secretary shall promptly send a copy of the charges to each member of the Board of Directors or present them at a Board meeting.

The Corresponding secretary is the one being charged.

Thanks for your reply.

We put the minutes of the regular session of the BOD meeting in our newsletter, so guess a notation of the charges being read will have to go in there. Just not the details.

Not sure what we do, if anything, about how the charges were made. Our bylaws read:

Any member may prefer charges against a member for alleged misconduct prejudicial to the best interest of the club or the sport of purebred dogs. Written charges with specifications must be filed in duplicate with a $50.00 deposit with the Corresponding Secretary. The deposit shall be forfeited if the Board of Directors following a hearing does not sustain such charges. The Corresponding Secretary shall promptly send a copy of the charges to each member of the Board of Directors or present them at a Board meeting.

The Corresponding secretary is the one being charged.

Anything from executive session or relating to charges against a member should not be made public.

To scshunt: You are absolutely right. Bylaws are identicala as its the same group. First charges were with drawn so now one member is coming up with others. It is starting to become harassment.

My concern was the reading of the charges in a regular 'open' meeting in front of 8 guests.

BTW- great memory! :-)

To scshunt: You are absolutely right. Bylaws are identicala as its the same group. First charges were with drawn so now one member is coming up with others. It is starting to become harassment.

My concern was the reading of the charges in a regular 'open' meeting in front of 8 guests.

BTW- great memory! :-)

Bylaws that allow any member to prefer charges against another are certainly a problem. Remove that provision as soon as you can.

At a regularly scheduled city council meeting with an agenda item for "public comments" should the comments be recorded into the minutes of the said council meeting?

No, the minutes are the official record of what was done (e.g. motions), not what was said (e.g. comments). Of course your city council very likely operates under different rules.

Well, apparently this city council has no special rule on the subject, and, like many (if not most) city and county councils, has adopted RONR as its parliamentary authority.

That was not apparent to me but perhaps I was unduly influenced by my experience with my own town's council whose minutes include a (poor) summary of public comment (though whether that's by rule or custom I can't say).

Archived