The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting on minutes of a meeting

Guest Marcy Mtn

No, a motion is not necessary. After the minutes havae been read, the chair asks if there are any corrections. After there are any corrections, the chair declares that the minutes are approved. (This used to be around p. 343, but it's now around p. 351, in RONR, 11th Edition. Times change, so pages do also.)

(A motion is not actually out of order, but sort of pointless, since it will not be voted on. Note that "pointless" is my word, not Robert's Rules'.)

Oh, give it up to about three months. If there's a longer gap than that between meetings, then the membership should authorize the board, or a committee, to approve the minutes on behalf of the membership, much sooner. ("Behalf" is my word, not RONR's.)

Oh, give it up to about three months. If there's a longer gap than that between meetings, then the membership should authorize the board, or a committee, to approve the minutes on behalf of the membership, much sooner. ("Behalf" is my word, not RONR's.)

To make that clearer, I'd better type some more: The membership should approve its minutes itself only if the next meeting, when those minutes will be approved, will occur within that quarterly time interval. If the next meeting will be later than that, they should instead authorize the board or a committee to do it (as said earlier, by me).

(I can't edit!)

• 3 weeks later...

What if the annual meeting of the membership was to elect a new board. Who approves the minutes? the old board? the new board? or the attending members at the annual meeting?

It's up to the annual meeting to decide to whom to delegate the approval of the minutes. In most cases, though, the "old Board" stops being the Board about halfway through the meeting, so it would be quite unusual to ask them to approve the minutes thereafter. The assembly could appoint the old members of the board to a committee to approve the minutes, though.

Is it then appropriate for the writer of the minutes to distribute a draft for correction or review to the membership that did attend the annual meeting?

I see no reason the secretary can't consult (informally) with members (including former members) who were present at the meeting, if the secretary feels this consultation will improve the accuracy of the draft minutes. However, that does not mean that former members have any authority over the content or eventual approval of those minutes.

Understood, all that said, should the membership that attended the annual meeting be right in expecting a draft of the minutes for there review if not input?

Not unless it's the policy of your organization to distribute the draft to all members. Attendees enjoy no special status once the meeting is over.

Archived