The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resendin a Second Motion

Guest Miles Wegner

If I resend my second motion, does the reopen the original motion I seconed to be voted, etc...

Very hard to tell what happened from this description. I'll make a different guess than Chris H. -- maybe you'll tell us if either guess is close.

It sounds as though a motion ('the original motion') was made, and you seconded it. Then you made a 'second motion' (an amendment to the original motion??), but then thought better of it and wanted to take back that second motion? Are you asking whether you can do that, and what the status of the original motion is at that point?

This is like trying to read tea leaves. Why 'reopen' the original motion... how did it get closed? Oh well, I'm giving up, pending clarification...

With one exception you cannot withdraw a second after it has been given.

While Trina's answer is probably better for the question at hand, you actually can withdraw a second at any point up until the chair states the question. Once the question is stated, though---and that's usually right away---it's too late to withdraw the second. Usually there's only one reason to do so, though.

Yes the original motion was made and I seconded it. Now I want to resnd my motion, the question is, does that make that motion open for either a vote, more discussion, etc...

So you seconded a motion, and you want to 'resend' (rescind?) or withdraw your second? As the other posters explained, you have to act pretty quickly to do that. Once the chair states the question (or, in more informal groups, once any debate/discussion starts) it's too late -- the question belongs to the assembly at that point. It no longer belongs to the motion maker, and certainly not to the person who seconded. Seconding a motion just isn't that important in the scheme of things. To illustrate further, if the assembly forgets to wait for a second, and just starts debate on a motion, the lack of a second becomes entirely irrelevant as soon as debate starts.

If I resend my second motion, does the reopen the original motion I seconed to be voted, etc...

Yes the original motion was made and I seconded it. Now I want to resnd my motion, the question is, does that make that motion open for either a vote, more discussion, etc...

Looking at these two posts again, I wonder if the question is actually about revisiting a motion that has already been voted upon (maybe that explains 'reopen' in the initial post). If that's the underlying question, it should be clear from the earlier responses that withdrawing your second is meaningless, and cannot possibly achieve this goal. Even the person who made the motion doesn't have any such power.

It is, however, possible for any member, at a future meeting, to move to rescind, or amend something previously adopted, to the extent that the previous decision has not yet been fully carried out. The motion to rescind, or amend something previously adopted must be seconded, and is debatable. Debate can go into the merits of the original question. RASPA requires a higher vote margin than a plain vanilla motion -- two-thirds without notice OR majority vote with notice OR majority vote of the entire membership. See RONR (11th ed.) pp. 305-310.

Please start over and start from the beginning of the process you're describing. Use names (e.g. "Joe made a motion, and I seconded it") so we can see what's happening. When you say "resend", to you mean "rescind" (which means to "void" a motion, something you can't do on your own), or do you mean to "re-send" a motion (that is, make it again), or do you mean to withdraw your motion (or your second).

Finally, please consider registering as a member of this forum so you won't have to keep entering the CAPTCHA codes. There's no cost and no obligation. No salesman will call.

Ok, I thought so. So, basically I'm screwed and the floor of our fire department will get an opxy coating on it, which is money wasted. that money could be used to buy a new set of jaws. Oh well, thanks for your help.

Well, did you read what I said above about a motion to rescind? As long as the money hasn't been spent, and the coating isn't on the floor yet, the original motion can potentially be rescinded (this has to be done at a meeting). If you give notice of your intent to offer a motion to rescind, you would only need to get majority vote to carry your motion at the meeting. And if your arguments are good, perhaps you can persuade a majority to vote your way.

Archived