The Official RONR Q & A Forums

speaking while board is in session

Guest Harold

I am on a village board of 6 people with a mayor. We have a vote to listen to the public about there concerns. After we go back to regular meeting and discuss business, the public start "jumping in" into the discussion. Can they do that while the board is in regular meeting? If they can't does anyone know where I can find it at in the book?

After we go back to regular meeting and discuss business, the public start "jumping in" into the discussion. Can they do that while the board is in regular meeting?

Apparently they can, in your case. It sounds like your chairman needs to understand his job better. Disruptive non-members should not be tolerated, and if necessary excluded from the room

I am on a village board of 6 people with a mayor. We have a vote to listen to the public about there concerns. After we go back to regular meeting and discuss business, the public start "jumping in" into the discussion. Can they do that while the board is in regular meeting? If they can't does anyone know where I can find it at in the book?

Sunshine laws may apply that provide more rights to nonmembers than does RONR, but it's hard to imagine that any rule would allow a nonmember to interrupt the proceedings.

RONR doesn't give nonmembers any rights. Check your rules for any such provisions.

Archived