The Official RONR Q & A Forums

election of officers by secret ballot

Guest mich

Our club does nominations via mail and then I call each nominee to see if they will accept the nomination. Our bylaws do not dictate how to run the election other than the ballots must be received in mail and remain sealed until our public meeting. Do I have to make someone who was nominated for two positions choose the one he wants to run for or can i let him run for both and see which he gets the most votes for?

Our club does nominations via mail and then I call each nominee to see if they will accept the nomination. Our bylaws do not dictate how to run the election other than the ballots must be received in mail and remain sealed until our public meeting. Do I have to make someone who was nominated for two positions choose the one he wants to run for or can i let him run for both and see which he gets the most votes for?

See RONR (11th ed.), p. 440, ll. 3-17.

Do I have to make someone who was nominated for two positions choose the one he wants to run for or can i let him run for both and see which he gets the most votes for?

Nothing in RONR prevents a person from running for, being nominated for, or serving in more than one office at a time. So you don't have to make anyone do anything.

And if he's elected to two positions, he gets to choose which one he wants, regardless of the vote totals.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful here but by what authority are you doing the vetting process, and by what authority can you "make" or "let" a candidate do something?

Archived