The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes/Notes of Inquorate Meeting

Guest Scott

Do they reflect that a quorum was not present?
No. However, since there is very little that can be validly done at an inquorate meeting which would end up in the minutes it would be pretty apparent to anyone reading the minutes that there was no quorum (or something very strange happened). See RONR pp. 347-348 for what can be done without a quorum and pp.468-470 for what should be in the minutes.
Must they be acted upon at the following meeting?
They should be approved the same as any other minutes.

Really? No indication that there was no quorum? Future generations are left to scratch their heads?

Nothing like, "The meeting was called to order at 8:05 and, due to the lack of a quorum, was adjourned at 8:10"?

I don't think there is anything in RONR that would require it. However, if the assembly chose to add that for clarity I wouldn't object too loud.

I "report" on meetings held by various Committees that were appointed by government, i.e., the Board of Commissioners for a County in Florida. Under the County's Ordinance, each meeting is recorded and a reporter is present to take notes and transcribe the notes into a written document.

For an inquorate meeting, the Minutes will usually reflect that the Meeting was called to Order but a quorum could not be established. The Chair will announce the date, time, and location of the next meeting and then adjourns the meeting.

In my situation, the Chair/Committee decide to hear "information-only" items on the Agenda and continued the meeting.

The following is an excerpt of the Minutes I submitted. Hope it helps you.

1. Call to Order – Chairman:

Chairman ________ called the meeting to order at 3:09 PM.

Announcements – Chairman ___________:

· Quorum was not established.

The County Attorney’s Office confirmed the Advisory Committee Members could hear

"information-only" items outlined on the Agenda, but could not vote on any issues – discussion

of these items was permissible, as was Public Comment, but official business would not be transacted

The Chairman announted the Meeting would continue and read the procedures to be observed during the informal meeting.

2. Roll Call:

Roll call was taken for the record.

A quorum was not established – only four members were present.

3. Agenda and Minutes – Chairman:

a. Approval of Agenda

Chairman _______ ascertained the Members did not have questions concerning the Agenda.

b. Approval of Minutes – September 12, 2011

Due to the absence of a quorum, approval of the Minutes was deferred to the next full Committee meeting.

I "report" on meetings held by various Committees that were appointed by government, i.e., the Board of Commissioners for a County in Florida. Under the County's Ordinance, each meeting is recorded and a reporter is present to take notes and transcribe the notes into a written document.

For an inquorate meeting, the Minutes will usually reflect that the Meeting was called to Order but a quorum could not be established. The Chair will announce the date, time, and location of the next meeting and then adjourns the meeting.

In my situation, the Chair/Committee decide to hear "information-only" items on the Agenda and continued the meeting.

The following is an excerpt of the Minutes I submitted. Hope it helps you.

1. Call to Order – Chairman:

Chairman ________ called the meeting to order at 3:09 PM.

Announcements – Chairman ___________:

· Quorum was not established.

The County Attorney’s Office confirmed the Advisory Committee Members could hear

"information-only" items outlined on the Agenda, but could not vote on any issues – discussion

of these items was permissible, as was Public Comment, but official business would not be transacted

The Chairman announted the Meeting would continue and read the procedures to be observed during the informal meeting.

2. Roll Call:

Roll call was taken for the record.

A quorum was not established – only four members were present.

3. Agenda and Minutes – Chairman:

a. Approval of Agenda

Chairman _______ ascertained the Members did not have questions concerning the Agenda.

b. Approval of Minutes – September 12, 2011

Due to the absence of a quorum, approval of the Minutes was deferred to the next full Committee meeting.

This may be a perfectly good record under the rules governing your committee, but neither this record nor the actions described in it accord with the rules in RONR.

If your minutes of a meeting where a quorum is met documents said quorum, I would make the assumption that an inquorate meeting would reflect a lack of quorum.

But Rhibran, this puts us back where Shmuel Gerber left us. Properly prepared minutes don't mention the presence of a quorum: see, as an exemplary example (the best kind), the first paragraph of the sample minutes on p. 472. To make the contrary assumption would make a SUMP out of U and ME

(Alas, I find myself disagreeing with Chris H, which I do when I don't know what's good for me, or it's 5:30 AM, or both.)

In reality, the abbreviated document and lack of any official business being documented would demonstrate an inquorate meeting as well.

It might, or in an equally convincing reality* it might just as likely demonstrate a quorate meeting that was uneventful.

*There's a program on the Science Channel on TV this weekend about Philip K. Dick (the series includes Mary Shelley, H. G. Wells, and Arthur C. Clarke too). Everybody watch.

Archived