The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation of President

Guest Judy Mc

Does a resignation have to be accepted? Our President resigned 2 1/2 weeks before our Board meeting. Members of the board tried to talk him into recending the resignation he declined. He did not attend the board meeting nor has he been in church. The board by a slight majority voted to not accept his resignation and directed the vice president (now acting President) to write him and ask him to reconsider. Roberts rules of order seemed vague to me as to what was proper to do in this situation.

Are you asking whether it is proper to vote not to accept a resignation (as your board has done)? Yes, of course. A resignation is a request to be excused from a duty. You can grant the request... or not grant the request.

In a practical sense, if the person who wants to resign sticks to his guns, and stops carrying out his duties, you will have to deal with that sooner or later.

Roberts rules of order seemed vague to me as to what was proper to do in this situation.

Indeed. As it reads, the inference could be drawn that the resignation will be accepted, and in your situation that may be the best approach. If you deny his resignation request, and he continues in abandoning his duties, you are then faced with the possibility of bringing charges of dereliction of duty and holding a trial to prefer charges. And what would the penalty be? It's like the kid who skips school so much the principal expels him. In the word of Charlie Sheen, Duh! In "forcing" him to continue as President when he clearly does not want to, you will reap what you sow.

I'd add that until the president's resignation is accepted, the vice president is not the "acting" president (a term not found in RONR as far as I know). He is still just the vice president, although he will be expected to assume some of the president's duties, most particularly presiding at meetings. But any duties and authority expressly provided for the President in the bylaws do not inherit to the Vice President due to the absence of the President, so be careful the VP doesn't overstep.

And should the resignation finally be accepted, the Vice President immediately takes the office of President (barring special rules in the bylaws to handle a vacancy in the presidency), and you will have a vacancy in the office of VP to fill.

And it can be a tad risky NOT to formally accept th resignation, since, without a resignation being accepted, the resigner could most any time later change his mind, withdraw his resignation (request), and continue in office. This may not be what the assembly had in mind, when he stormed out of the meeting yelling "I've had it up to HERE with you &*^%&!!@s, I QUIT!!"

And by not accepting the resignation, you risk placing the organization at risk. Until the resignation is accepted, the person is still legally the President. As such, he could always make statements using his title which the organization may not want to be associated with. For example, say the organization is requires planning permission to change it clubhouse or other building. You do not want this gentleman to send a letter to the editor stating how bad the planning process is in your jurisdiction and signing it as "President, xxx Society" as this would suggest that the organization approved the letter which it did not.

Archived