The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest xdirector

A member drafted a constitutional change, but was unable to read it at the proper meeting. A second member read it into the record. The first member is now out of town, and the second member will be unable to read the motion, for a vote. Can a third member put the motion to a vote before the assembly?

Sure, as long as you don't have any requirement in your bylaws -- check them! -- that requires the same person, or pesons, to shepherd bylaws amendments through the process. RONR has no such requirement.

Technically your "third member" isn't going to "put" the motion, but he/she will just be making the motion to amend. I suspect that is what you meant.

I am sorry to have been so vague. At the October membership meeting, the notice of motion to amend was read by member #2. At the AGM, the motion will be voted on. It is seen as restricting the Executive in their spending habits, and they do not want it passed. It is at the AGM that a third member will have to make the motion, hoping for a 2/3 vote of the attending members. The Constitution describes when changes are to be put forward and when sent to members, but nothing at all about who shall or may do the 3 tasks, so perhaps the 3rd member will be able to do this at the AGM.

I did indeed mean 'making the motion to amend'. Thanks JDS.

I am sorry to have been so vague. At the October membership meeting, the notice of motion to amend was read by member #2. At the AGM, the motion will be voted on. It is seen as restricting the Executive in their spending habits, and they do not want it passed. It is at the AGM that a third member will have to make the motion, hoping for a 2/3 vote of the attending members. The Constitution describes when changes are to be put forward and when sent to members, but nothing at all about who shall or may do the 3 tasks, so perhaps the 3rd member will be able to do this at the AGM.

I did indeed mean 'making the motion to amend'. Thanks JDS.

As noted, take a careful read of your rules to be sure you (well, maybe not you but these numbered members) are following the amendment process as set forth in them. Since, as you note, member #2 (not #1) was the reader of the amendment at the October meeting and nobody (apparently) objected, it would seem that multiple members may be involved in the process, thus opening the door for #3 at the AGM.

Also, as you refer to the "Executive", I take this to refer to the "Board" as RONR generally refers to it. It should be noted that at the Annual General Membership meeting the Board (or Executive) is not present as that particularly body of people. They may all be present, but they are there only as general members (unless your rules say otherwise), and have no authority as that body. The Board can only act as such at a properly called Board meeting. (RONR 11 p. 486 l. 33ff)

Archived