The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Allowing non-members to speak

Guest sladeg@birdair.com

Guest sladeg@birdair.com

Thanks.

As a follow-up, let me elaborate on the situation.

During debate, a member asked permission of the body to allow a non-member "expert" to speak. Normally, the chair then says, "if there are no objections, then...", and, usually, there are none, so the non-member is allowed to speak. I think I read somewhere that even if one member objects, the non-member cannot speak (true?). However, someone can then make a motion allowing the non-member to speak (true?). If these things are true, then:

Can this motion to allow the non-member to speak be made and take precedence when another motion is on the floor?

Can this motion be debated, amended, etc.? Does it require only a majority to be accepted?

Raising an "objection" to the chair saying "If there are no objections" is a cue to go to a vote on the question "May the expert speak?" No need for an ancillary motion. The question is "really" shorthand for "I move we suspend the rules and allow the expert to speak", a proper incidental motion... so... no debate, 2/3 to adopt, &c. See the rules on p. 260 ff.

Archived