The Official RONR Q & A Forums

bylaws

sammy

in our organization we have small chapters, whinc all use the same bylaws, our bylaws stat that our officers are as follows, president, ist vice president, and a senond vice president, we have a chapter that says that they have two co presidents, why would you have tow acting presidents when you have a ist and second vice presidents? I feel that this is in violation of our bylaws, your imput please,

Multiple people sharing an office MUST be specifically authorized in the bylaws. If bylaws say that the organization has a 'president' that language cannot properly be interpreted as allowing multiple people to share the office. So, yes, it appears to be a violation of your bylaws as you describe them.

Pretty much everyone on this forum will tell you that co-presidents is not a good idea.

Well, I'm admittedly counting on the description of the bylaws being correct, viz., not providing for co-presidents.

Unless my presumption is too presumptuous, having co-presidents would violate the bylaws.

Don't you agree?

If the bylaws provide for certain officers and don't provide for co-presidents, having co-presidents would conflict with the bylaws, yes.

However, I've long since given up on assuming what bylaws say, no matter who says they say what they say. :)

I have a question about bylaws but it is more specific to issues of quorum. Our bylaws say 9 meets quorum of the council of 16, however we have not filled all 16 positions. So my questions is does the 9 quorum still hold if all the seats have not been filled?

I have a question about bylaws but it is more specific to issues of quorum. Our bylaws say 9 meets quorum of the council of 16, however we have not filled all 16 positions. So my questions is does the 9 quorum still hold if all the seats have not been filled?

In general, please start a new topic when asking a new question (even if it seems related to an existing topic title).

If your bylaws specify the number '9' then that is what you need, regardless of the number of unfilled seats. If the bylaws said 'majority' then the number required for quorum would indeed go down if some seats remain unfilled.

Archived