The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting Minutes

Guest Larry

We have meetings every 3 months and the previous meetings minutes are approved, our association only releases those minutes for review after approval, should the members be able to review the minutes prior to being approved? If so when should we expect to review them, 1 month later 2 months later or sooner?

Although it may be nice (and efficient) to get the DRAFT minutes ahead of time, RONR's only requirement, and it isn't completely mandatory, is that they be available or read to the assembly at the meeting at which they are to be reviewed and approved (perhaps after amendment).

See p. 473 for additional details.

We have meetings every 3 months and the previous meetings minutes are approved, our association only releases those minutes for review after approval, should the members be able to review the minutes prior to being approved? If so when should we expect to review them, 1 month later 2 months later or sooner?

After approval? Really?

Something is strange here. My spidey sense is telling me that you're talking about a board of directors releasing minutes to the general membership who are not actually members of the board.

Otherwise it wouldn't make sense. How could you approve them if you don't know what they say until after you approve them? And if you're not a member of the group approving them, why would you have the right to see them, before or after they're approved?

The assembly can decide the procedure that works best for it, and a rule can be adopted governing the issue.

I see no practical need for distribution of the draft minutes to be delayed beyond a week or two, but I'm not familiar with your organization. In any event, I always prefer a speedy and efficient secretary, and I find that organizations do, too.

To clairify, I belong to a homeowners association, I am unable to attend every meeting to hear what is going on, I have to wait until the minutes are approved at the next meeting to know what went on 3 months ago.

Thanks to all for your comments.

You could always ask of a member who was in attendance. No, it wouldn't necessarily be an official, unbiased record of what in fact happened as compared to the approved minutes, but you'd still have some insights. That way, you don't have to wait three months. Just a thought.

I am unable to attend every meeting to hear what is going on, I have to wait until the minutes are approved at the next meeting to know what went on 3 months ago.

Your organization is free to publish a monthly newsletter but the minutes should not be seen as a substitute for attending a meeting. In other words, properly prepared minutes might leave you wondering about just what "really" went on at the meeting.

Of course you could always ask someone who was there.

Archived