The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest frank boertlein

Since your post apparently refers to qualifications required to hold office, it's important to read them carefully to see exactly WHAT is prohibited. Is it nominating the person? Is it electing him/her? Is it a bar on him serving?

[Mount soapbox] This should be a caution to everyone who's considering provisions in your bylaws regarding qualifications for office. How absolute do you want them to be? Should there be an escape clause or method to suspend them? Are you sure? [Dismount soapbox]

-Bob

Guest frank boertlein

relating to a rule that a person must be a member of the orginiazation for 2 years before running for officer in a fire company but the person has over 25 years experiance in another fire company and was an officer and more qualified than any other candidate

relating to a rule that a person must be a member of the orginiazation for 2 years before running for officer in a fire company but the person has over 25 years experiance in another fire company and was an officer and more qualified than any other candidate

No, such a rule in the bylaws is not suspendable. However, perhaps there is time to amend the bylaws to make the rule suspendable, should the members wish to do so. You would have to follow the rules for amending your bylaws, of course, in order to adopt such an amendment. Whether that can be done prior to the election is for you to determine.

What defines "running for officer?" Is it "campaigning"? Being nominated? Talking yourself up to the membership in solicitation of support? If the bylaws prevent a member from "running", that may not prevent them from being elected by write-in vote. The exact language of your bylaw, which we cannot interpret here for you, may actually hold your answer.

However, perhaps there is time to amend the bylaws to make the rule suspendable . . .

If the bylaws are going to be amended, I think I'd prefer that the requirements be made more flexible (e.g. accepting experience in other fire companies) rather than introduce the slippery notion of suspendable rules.

is it possible to vote on putting the bylaws aside for elections to elect a candidate for the good of the orginazation with more training and experiance

The rule in question may not be suspended or "set aside" unless it specifically provides for its suspension. The Bylaws could be amended to change the requirement (such as by allowing service in another fire company as a permissible alternative), to add a suspension clause, or to remove the requirement altogether, but any such amendment would follow the amendment process in your Bylaws.

Since it seems unlikely there will be time to amend the Bylaws before the election, some "workarounds" might include postponing the election or electing someone to the position who is in support of the preferred candidate. Such a person would serve temporarily and then resign when the Bylaws are amended, so that the preferred candidate could be elected to fill the vacancy.

Since it seems unlikely there will be time to amend the Bylaws before the election, some "workarounds" might include postponing the election or electing someone to the position who is in support of the preferred candidate. Such a person would serve temporarily and then resign when the Bylaws are amended, so that the preferred candidate could be elected to fill the vacancy.

I have always respected your responses, but could you please explain the above. Should the elected President resign, I was under the assumption that in most circumstances, the VP would become the President. Thus, there would be a vacancy in the VP position. Am not too experienced in RONR so may be it is a "workaround" solution of which I am not familiar with.

I have always respected your responses, but could you please explain the above. Should the elected President resign, I was under the assumption that in most circumstances, the VP would become the President. Thus, there would be a vacancy in the VP position. Am not too experienced in RONR so may be it is a "workaround" solution of which I am not familiar with.

What gave you the impression that the candidate was running for president?

Mr. or Ms. Hawvet:

Mr. Martin's suggestion is a general "work around" that could be applied in most cases, to all offices except the office of President. No one had specified in this thread (until your post) that this was specific to a president's resignation. I'm sure that Josh would amend his answer if more specifics were presented.

Mr. or Ms. Hawvet:

Mr. Martin's suggestion is a general "work around" that could be applied in most cases, to all offices except the office of President. No one had specified in this thread (until your post) that this was specific to a president's resignation. I'm sure that Josh would amend his answer if more specifics were presented.

Thanks. It is a Mister. I haven't been on the board long and do notice that Mr. Martin is very knowledgeable and gives excellent responses. Before questioning, I should have re-read the thread. My mind was too focussed on the term "work around" and now do understand this alternative.

Archived