The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Presidential Veto?

Guest Tricie

Good afternoon.

I am the treasurer of a Gymnastics Booster Club. We recently had a meeting in which the members present voted on an issue in the club. Our by-laws state that one must be present to vote. The President had to work that evening and could not attend. When she heard the outcome of the vote (which she opposed the outcome), she vetoed the vote. It is not written in our by-laws that the president has the veto power. She stated that Robert's Rules of Order gave her the authority. I have researched this and I cannot find the area where it says this.

I believe that she did not have the authority to veto the vote. What is the correct procedure to handle this.

Thanks in advance,

Gym Mom in Georgia

The President will not find that power in RONR. If the organization's By-laws do not give the President the power, then the President overstepped her authority.

If the President refuses to relent on the issue, the membership may wish to look into disciplinary action which would be found either in the By-laws of the organization or Chapter XX of RONR.

It is not written in our by-laws that the president has the veto power. She stated that Robert's Rules of Order gave her the authority. I have researched this and I cannot find the area where it says this.

You cannot find this area because the area does not exist. Hand her the book and ask her to show you the citation for this authority she mentioned. Be prepared to wait a long time.

Archived