The Official RONR Q & A Forums

parliamentarin

Guest sammy

And to clarify a member parliamentarian never loses any of their rights just by taking the position. However, by taking the position the member parliamentarian should be making a conscious decision to not exercise many of the rights of membership such as making motions, entering to debate, and voting (except when the vote is taken by ballot) but he or she still retains those rights. So if the member parliamentarian were to wish to make a motion, speak in debate, vote, or show some other form of partiality in a meeting he or she cannot be prevented from doing so (although the assembly would be within its rights to remove him or her from office for not remaining impartial).

(although the assembly would be within its rights to remove him or her from office for not remaining impartial).

Well, I believe generally it is (or at least should be) the chair who appoints the parliamentarian (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 465, lines 30-32).

when you name a parliamentarin and this person does not sit next to the president during an meeting, is it not true, they still have no rights to enter into discussion or voting rights?

I have to ask... why isn't the Parliamentarian sitting next to the President? The primary role of the Parliamentarian is to quietly advise the chair during meetings, which tends to be easiest when sitting next to the chair. It seems to me that the Parliamentarian, the President and/or the assembly might not understand the proper role of the Parliamentarian.

Archived