The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voting process

Guest tammi

What does the Rules say about "writing-in" a candidate during the voting process? Our organization has to vote for a President. The search committee has recommended 2 candidates and would like to provide the members with the option to write-in a candidate if they do not want to vote for either candidate.

thanks. Our bylaws do not speak to the voting process and we normally vote by ballot. So, prior to voting should we ask the members if there are any nominations for President from the floor. And if there are, should we then ask members to write that person's name on the ballot (the ballot's have already been printed) and close nominations and close any additions to the ballot at that time. Or is it acceptable to accept nominations from the floor AND allow members to write-in anyone on the ballot? Thanks.

thanks. Our bylaws do not speak to the voting process and we normally vote by ballot. So, prior to voting should we ask the members if there are any nominations for President from the floor. And if there are, should we then ask members to write that person's name on the ballot (the ballot's have already been printed) and close nominations and close any additions to the ballot at that time. Or is it acceptable to accept nominations from the floor AND allow members to write-in anyone on the ballot? Thanks.

It's not just acceptable -- that is the default application of the rules. Nominations from the floor, and write-ins (possibly of people whose names have not yet been uttered by anyone during the nomination process) are both allowed. Closing nominations does not disallow write-in votes.

If this is all unfamiliar to the members, no harm in explaining it to them so they understand what their options are...

Well, there could certainly be a good deal of confusion if people are asked to "write in" the names of additional nominees on their ballot, presumably only to add them to the ballot without necessarily voting for them.

How do you propose to distinguish those "added names" from "wrte in votes"?

And if there are, should we then ask members to write that person's name on the ballot (the ballot's have already been printed) and close nominations and close any additions to the ballot at that time.

This is probably unwise. It would likely be simpler to have members write in a member's name only if he intends to vote for that person. Having multiple written names is likely to cause confusion. If it is desired to display all the nominations made, this might be done on a chalkboard or projector screen or the like.

So, prior to voting should we ask the members if there are any nominations for President from the floor. And if there are, should we then ask members to write that person's name on the ballot (the ballot's have already been printed) and close nominations and close any additions to the ballot at that time.

This is probably unwise.

I would think it goes beyond unwise. The election ballot is no place for nominations to be submitted, and once voting has begun (i.e. ballots handed out), I'd think nominations would be closed anyway, implicitly at least, for this round of voting anyway.

The confusion lurking in the background here for Guest_Tammi (or Guest_Guest) seems to be the proper procedure for making additional nominations from the floor (wherein just yelling out names of nominees is all that's needed) prior to balloting, and that "write-ins" on the election ballot are actually votes for such persons, not a method of adding their names to the list of candidates.

Easy (?) Solution:

Printed ballots require an "X" (or some mark) beside a name to vote for that person; so simply make it clear (if possible!) that the voter MUST put an X beside any written-in name to vote for that person.

Simply writing a name is not a vote for that person any more than printing a name is. Makes no difference whether the "write-in" is actually a floor nomination, or a true (un-nominated) write-in.

Well, there could certainly be a good deal of confusion if people are asked to "write in" the names of additional nominees on their ballot, presumably only to add them to the ballot without necessarily voting for them.

How do you propose to distinguish those "added names" from "wrte in votes"?

Yikes. I see I did not read the original poster's words with enough care. Somehow I wasn't picturing everyone writing down the names of additional nominees on their ballots.

As noted earlier, I think some explanation to the members on the mechanics of indicating their vote on the ballot would be advisable. However, there's always the hazard that someone misunderstands the instructions (for example, a member who knows how write-in votes work in other organizations he belongs to, simply writes in the name of his preferred candidate, and does not make an 'X' next to the name -- as suggested by Mr. Stackpole) -- what do you do with those ballots? Unless a motion had been adopted exactly specifying the accepted format of the ballots, that could lead to a lot of argument and confusion.

How to handle the balloting in this assembly is probably a judgement call, based on the size of the membership and how likely they are to listen carefully to instructions.

One approach would be to scrap the pre-printed ballots in favor of blank pieces of paper. Members would simply be instructed to write down one name. Names of nominees (the two earlier nominees, plus any nominations from the floor) could be displayed on a chalk board, projection screen, etc. (as suggested by Mr. Martin), and members would be informed that they also have the right to cast a write-in vote (for a person not nominated).

Easy (?) Solution:

Printed ballots require an "X" (or some mark) beside a name to vote for that person; so simply make it clear (if possible!) that the voter MUST put an X beside any written-in name to vote for that person.

Simply writing a name is not a vote for that person any more than printing a name is. Makes no difference whether the "write-in" is actually a floor nomination, or a true (un-nominated) write-in.

While I agree with your points, and while the solution you have provided is certainly valid, I see no reason to make the lives of the tellers any more difficult than necessary. It seems simpler for members to make a mark if they are voting for one of the printed candidates and to write-in a name only if they intend to vote for that candidate. Under such a system, while it is certainly preferable to make a mark for the write-in candidate, if only one name is written and no other marks are made, the intent of the voter seems clear. If the names of all nominees were written in, that would likely lead to unnecessary confusion.

However, there's always the hazard that someone misunderstands the instructions (for example, a member who knows how write-in votes work in other organizations he belongs to, simply writes in the name of his preferred candidate, and does not make an 'X' next to the name -- as suggested by Mr. Stackpole) -- what do you do with those ballots?

Well, it would depend on the exact circumstances, but generally the vote should be credited if the intent is clear. In the method proposed, however, I can certainly imagine ballots where the intent would not be clear. In such a case, the ballots are treated as illegal votes if they cannot affect the result, or if they can affect the result, the question is referred to the assembly without revealing (if possible) how the ballots would affect a particular candidate.

One approach would be to scrap the pre-printed ballots in favor of blank pieces of paper. Members would simply be instructed to write down one name. Names of nominees (the two earlier nominees, plus any nominations from the floor) could be displayed on a chalk board, projection screen, etc. (as suggested by Mr. Martin), and members would be informed that they also have the right to cast a write-in vote (for a person not nominated).

This is certainly a valid approach as well - and I personally prefer it, as it avoids giving an advantage to the choices of the nominating committee.

Archived