The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Killed motions

Guest Vernon Smith

Recently There was a 4 to 3 vote on motion which failed. 3 for it and 4 against it. I was on the side that was for it which failed. I was told I had to wait a year before I could bring the motion up again. The person said Robert rules of order prevented me from doing that. I have read the Roberts rule of order and can not find that in the book anywhere. Is is true or am I missing something. Thanks for any help.

I was told I had to wait a year before I could bring the motion up again. The person said Robert rules of order prevented me from doing that. I have read the Roberts rule of order and can not find that in the book anywhere. Is is true or am I missing something.

You're not missing anything. So far as RONR is concerned, you can bring the motion up again at the very next meeting. There is no need to wait a year.

When you look in your new copy of the 11th edition of RONR, the rule that allows any member to make a failed motion at a later session (called renewing the motion) is at p. 337, l. 22-28. More information can be found at p. 88, l. 9-24. You can also find information about sessions in Section 8.

OK, I purchased RONR 11 edition today. As I said before a motion was made on our board 3 for the motion and 4 against it. I tried to make the same motion again at the next meeting(session) and was told that I had to wait one year before I can make that motion again since I was on the losing side. I was told that on of the other 4 could make the same motion anytime. I want to make the motion again and I want to quote that I am allow to do so. This will help me not look like a idiot. I read page 337 2) which states Any motion that is still applicable can be renewed at a later session, except where a specific rule prevents its renewal; and such an impediment to renewal at a later session normally can exist only when the first motion goes over to that session as not finally disposed of, in which case the question can then be reached through the first motion (see pp. 90-91, 340-41).

Is this the right rule that I can use the make the same motion again in another session? Can they say a specific rule prevents this since it was already killed. I trying to learn this but I get confused. I just want to quote that RROO allows me to do it and explain it in away they can forbid me from making a motion again.

Can someone give me your thoughts and advice on this .

Thank you.

I tried to make the same motion again at the next meeting(session) and was told that I had to wait one year before I can make that motion again since I was on the losing side. I was told that on of the other 4 could make the same motion anytime.

The members are apparently confusing the process of renewing a motion with the motion to Reconsider. The motion to Reconsider may only be made by a member who voted on the prevailing side, but it has strict time limits which are long past by now. A motion may be renewed by any member at the next session. I have no idea where they got the one year idea from.

I want to make the motion again and I want to quote that I am allow to do so. This will help me not look like a idiot. I read page 337 2) which states Any motion that is still applicable can be renewed at a later session, except where a specific rule prevents its renewal; and such an impediment to renewal at a later session normally can exist only when the first motion goes over to that session as not finally disposed of, in which case the question can then be reached through the first motion (see pp. 90-91, 340-41).

Is this the right rule that I can use the make the same motion again in another session?

Yes.

Can they say a specific rule prevents this since it was already killed.

No. A specific rule would be if, for instance, your organization had adopted a rule which really did say "A motion may not be renewed for one year after it has been defeated, except by a member who voted on the prevailing side" or something to that effect. Such a rule is called a special rule of order. It supersedes the parliamentary authority and requires a 2/3 vote with notice or a vote of a majority of the entire membership for adoption. Defeating a motion does not, in and of itself, create a special rule preventing the motion's renewal by any member at a later session.

I trying to learn this but I get confused. I just want to quote that RROO allows me to do it and explain it in away they can forbid me from making a motion again.

Can someone give me your thoughts and advice on this .

You have the right quote. You also might want to ask the other members where to find the rule they claim is in RONR. Their attempts might be amusing, since the "one year" rule is nonexistent. The other rule they are referring to is real, but it is applicable only to the motion to Reconsider.

Thanks for everybody's help. So if a board adopts a rule in their by-laws saying the losing side must wait a year then that overrides the Roberts Rule of order and it must be by a 2/3 vote with notice. What is meant by notice and were does it say it must be 2/3.

So if a board adopts a rule in their by-laws saying the losing side must wait a year then that overrides the Roberts Rule of order

Yes. A special rule of order would also suffice.

and it must be by a 2/3 vote with notice.

Well, I was talking about the requirement for a special rule of order (and a vote of a majority of the entire membership is an alternative). The requirement for amending the Bylaws should be prescribed in your Bylaws (although it is the same procedure as for adopting or amending special rules of order if your Bylaws are silent on their amendment).

What is meant by notice

In RONR, previous notice may be given by announcing the intent to make the motion at the previous meeting (if the next meeting is within a quarterly interval) or by including it in the call of the meeting. In the case of amending Bylaws, the Bylaws often have their own requirements for notice.

and were does it say it must be 2/3.

See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 17, lines 28-31; pg. 581, lines 3-7.

Thanks for everybody's help. So if a board adopts a rule in their by-laws saying the losing side must wait a year then that overrides the Roberts Rule of order and it must be by a 2/3 vote with notice. What is meant by notice and were does it say it must be 2/3.

I would also point out that most boards we run into on this forum do not have the power to amend the bylaws -- that authority, by default, belongs to the general membership.

Also, the typical board cannot adopt special rules of order for itself which conflict with the rules of the larger society (RONR 11th ed. p. 486 ll. 13-19).

Note that Mr. Martin said, in post #10:

A specific rule would be if, for instance, your organization had adopted a rule which really did say "A motion may not be renewed for one year after it has been defeated, except by a member who voted on the prevailing side" or something to that effect. Such a rule is called a special rule of order.

He didn't say, "if your board had adopted a rule..."

I would also point out that most boards we run into on this forum do not have the power to amend the bylaws -- that authority, by default, belongs to the general membership.

It might also be worth pointing out that, generally speaking, a board does not have its own bylaws, but operates under the bylaws of the society.

Archived