The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electioneering/campaigning while nominating

Guest Nick

A member of our organization nominated a member for office from the floor and in the next sentence essentially went on to campaign for him. I know during any regular election there is no campaigning within 100 feet of a polling area. I am looking for a little clarification on this subject. Example - Is this done on a regular basis or this kind of thing shouldn't be done at all. Looking forward to your comments!

Nominations are debatable, so perhaps that's what he's doing and it's completely proper. Furthermore there is no rule such as the one you stated in your second sentence in Robert's Rules.

Nominations, in my view, should be debated routinely. Groups will spend forever debating the details of their next social event but not on who will lead their organization? Doesn't make sense.

I know during any regular election there is no campaigning within 100 feet of a polling area.

I would guess that you're referring to elections for public office, where a rule to that effect is not unusual. Elections to an assembly and elections to public office have very little in common.

Example - Is this done on a regular basis or this kind of thing shouldn't be done at all.

So far as RONR is concerned, nominations are debatable. Whether this happens on a regular basis depends on the society. In societies where debate is a regular part of the nomination and election process, the assembly requently adopts its own rules on the subject, since the regular procedures for debate are not necessarily well-adapted to an election

George, should the debate on nominations wait until after all the nominations for a given office have been made?

In my opinion, if the assembly has adopted no rule or motion on the subject, the nominations may be debated at the time they are made.

Archived