The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recount

Steven Britton

An organization annually provides for the election of 6 directors by mail ballot to it's twelve member board. The bylaws provide that the BODs elect 3 tellers and 3 alternates to count the election ballots. The ballots must be received by February 1 and are counted, shortly thereafter. The results of the election are reported to the members outside of a meeting.

The ballots are secured and sealed in a container and the secretary brings the container to the annual meeting.

The annual meeting is within a quarterly time interval of the election. The members generally meet once each year.

Robert's is not adopted as the parlimentary manual in the bylaws, but the organization has generally adhered to Robert's by custom.

Question: If the members order a recount at the annual meeting, who would properly recount the ballots? Is there really a definative answer?

And don't make up the bylaws in their entirety and post them here ;) .

Why has the society in the example not adopted RONR? I mean, how do you think that lack affects the question you are asking?

I'm not really sure that it would have an effect; but, thought that perhaps for some other reason that hadn't dawned on me, it might.

Thanks for responding.

If you're wondering if this could be an issue, we don't know.

My question might be, for the purpose of appointing tellers for the recount, are new tellers to be appointed and by the presiding officer, board, or the assembly.

My question might be, for the purpose of appointing tellers for the recount, are new tellers to be appointed and by the presiding officer, board, or the assembly.

I might argue that a 'count' (instructions are given for this in the bylaws, apparently) and a 'recount' are not the same thing. However, we have not seen the exact language of the bylaws, nor read them in their entirety.

I might argue that a 'count' (instructions are given for this in the bylaws, apparently) and a 'recount' are not the same thing. However, we have not seen the exact language of the bylaws, nor read them in their entirety.

For what it's worth, even if the society does determine that the quoted rule does apply to the recount, it seems to me that a rule relating to the appointment of tellers is in the nature of a rule of order.

Archived