The Official RONR Q & A Forums

tie vote including presidants vote

Guest guest Taz

our board consists of 8 members including me as the President. we recently had a 4 to 4 tie. i tied it in favor of passing a motion. i understood a tie doesnt pass then i saw some confusing verbage that looked like i was able to break the tie as chair or presiding officer is that true? i only have 1 vote but looks like i am referred to as possibly two people if needed? can i make the fianl decision?

our board consists of 8 members including me as the President. we recently had a 4 to 4 tie. i tied it in favor of passing a motion. i understood a tie doesnt pass then i saw some confusing verbage that looked like i was able to break the tie as chair or presiding officer is that true? i only have 1 vote but looks like i am referred to as possibly two people if needed? can i make the fianl decision?

No, the chair cannot vote twice. The motion fails. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 405-406 for a full discussion of this issue and it may clear things up for you. This particular question is answered directly in RONR, 11th ed., pg. 406, lines 14-15.

Archived