The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Roll Call Votes

Guest vadare12

Any member may "call" for a roll-call vote -- or more correctly, move that a vote on a pending issue/motion be taken by roll-call.

It requires a majority vote to adopt the motion to vote by roll-call.

Purpose: Put all the members on record -- the vote tally with names goes in the minutes -- as to their positions on the issue.

So the motion is seconded, then the Chair looks to the board scribe and nodds and states for her to take a roll call vote, the scribe then just starts calling out alphabetically each directors name - I could just interject and state......"point of order"....a motion for a roll call vote should be voted on" or something to that affect?

So the motion is seconded, then the Chair looks to the board scribe and nodds and states for her to take a roll call vote, the scribe then just starts calling out alphabetically each directors name - I could just interject and state......"point of order"....a motion for a roll call vote should be voted on" or something to that affect?

You should raise that Point of Order as soon as the Chair tells the Scribe to take a Roll Call vote because after the Scribe starts calling names it would no longer be timely and the YSYL rule takes effect (RONR pp. 250-251)

Well, it may be that your rules require (or it's simply the custom of the board) that all votes are roll-call votes. It's certainly not the RONR default method so you might just ask why the vote is being taken that way.

And in between the second (which is not required in small boards) and the vote, there is often something called "debate" (though, again, in small boards the discussion may precede the making of a formal motion).

what number of board directors is considered to be a "small" one? No, our rules don't require a roll call vote. We just happen to have someone on our board that thinks she knows all. Incidentally anytime a motion is made, one of her minions states "move to confirm", then the other minion of hers will state, "I second"...then 'she' will do as I stated prior - look and nodd to the board scribe to do a roll call vote.

Also, may I have a link to this forum to post on my face book page?

what number of board directors is considered to be a "small" one?

About a dozen or less members present (RONR pp. 487-488).

Also, may I have a link to this forum to post on my face book page?

I wouldn't see that as a problem since RONR/11 on the copyright page lists the website for Robert's Rules where the link for the Q&A forum is located. I say the more the merrier.

Our Assoication has a nine (9) member board of directors - my question is once a motion is made and seconded - who may call for a 'roll call' vote? What is the purpose of a roll call vote?

"It should not be used in a mass meeting or in any assembly whose members are not responsible to a constituency." RONR (11th ed.), p. 420, ll. 8-9.

when a motion is put on the floor, someone states "moved to confirm", then it gets a "second" - 'she' will say hardly audible "having been properly moved and seconded, now we'll have a roll call vote". That's not everytime but most of the time.

And in between the second (which is not required in small boards) and the vote, there is often something called "debate" (though, again, in small boards the discussion may precede the making of a formal motion).

So, is there debate, after the motion is seconded, and before the alphabetical reading of names starts?

I would submit that board members are responsible to a "constituency" -- the (general) members who elected them to look after the affairs of the association.

I'm not arguing that point. It's just an important characteristic of the Roll-Call vote, which should be born in mind by anyone learning about this method of voting. It gives quite a glimpse into its practical purpose.

In case there is confusion...

"Calling for" a roll call vote and adopting the (incidental) motion to hold the vote by roll call does NOT stop or in any way hinder debate on the main motion, the issue at hand.

The incidental motion to do a roll call is itself undebatable so you should be able to take care of it jiffy quick.

All the adoption does is say that when we vote, we'll vote by roll. (It may also set the secretary to frantically scurrying around trying to find the current attendance list, if there is one, or membership list, but that is another story.)

I wish I could tuck you in my pocket and have you at our meeting this Saturday

I have heard tell that right before the release of RONR/12 that the regular posters on this forum with over 5000 posts will be supplying a DNA sample so when it comes out an option is to buy the "Deluxe" Edition which comes with a clone of your favorite parliamentarian. All with the reasonable price of $150,000 (half of which goes to the parliamentarian in question). :D

I have heard tell that right before the release of RONR/12 that the regular posters on this forum with over 5000 posts will be supplying a DNA sample so when it comes out an option is to buy the "Deluxe" Edition which comes with a clone of your favorite parliamentarian. All with the reasonable price of $150,000 (half of which goes to the parliamentarian in question). :D

I'm going to start putting away some money, to buy that clone of me. :)

Archived