The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Additional Question (Follow Up to Board Member Removal)

Guest Guest

I was also just informed and thought I would add that the executive board has deemed that removal from the board is not considered disciplinary action and thus would not need to be handled by our disciplinary review board. It is based on that logic that the executive board as given the president sole power to make this decision.

Can someone explain how expulsion from a board of directors would not be viewed as a disciplinary action?

Is there anything in Roberts Rules to address this play on words?

Thank you again!!

Can someone explain how expulsion from a board of directors would not be viewed as a disciplinary action?

I suppose that if someone looks at the situation in the right (or wrong) way that they can see whatever they want to see. I somehow suspect you will be incredibly hard pressed to find anyone who is a regular poster on this forum who could argue with a straight face that removal from the Board is not a disciplinary action. But that is probably a secondary consideration since unless the bylaws give the Board the authority to make such an outlandish and absurd declaration they don't have that authority (RONR p. 482 ll. 25-29).

I suppose that if someone looks at the situation in the right (or wrong) way that they can see whatever they want to see. I somehow suspect you will be incredibly hard pressed to find anyone who is a regular poster on this forum who could argue with a straight face that removal from the Board is not a disciplinary action. But that is probably a secondary consideration since unless the bylaws give the Board the authority to make such an outlandish and absurd declaration they don't have that authority (RONR p. 482 ll. 25-29).

They are situations where the bylaws might create such a situation, but RONR does not.

I was also just informed and thought I would add . . .

For future reference, if you're adding to an existing post, then add to the existing post (i.e. don't start a new one and expect anyone to be able to tie it to what the other posts said).

Secondly, posting as "Guest_Guest" makes it difficult to know if you're the same person who posted before. Please use a consistent username (or, better yet, become a member . . . no salesman will call).

m52Q28

I was also just informed and thought I would add that the executive board has deemed that removal from the board is not considered disciplinary action and thus would not need to be handled by our disciplinary review board. It is based on that logic that the executive board as given the president sole power to make this decision.

Is there anything in Roberts Rules to address this play on words?

Thank you again!!

The board cannot give itself power that is does not have and it cannot give the president power without the authority to do so. So, you must ask where the board got this authority.

Archived