The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee rules

Guest s shuford

I understand that committees are not required to keep minutes, but our Board requires that minutes of our committee meetings be submitted to them. I also understand that the rules of order differ for the committee as outlined in RONR, pp487-488. My question is, since minutes are not addressed in the modified rules, can we assume that the regular rules be applied to minutes?

Since business is generally conducted in the same fashion whether in a meeting of the General Membership, Board, or a committee (minus the rule differences-which shouldn't affect anything that would go in the minutes) I would think that the rules regarding the minutes wouldn't need any modification (except that the Board probably shouldn't be approving the committee's minutes).

What specifically is your question about the minutes?

-Bob

Since business is generally conducted in the same fashion whether in a meeting of the General Membership, Board, or a committee (minus the rule differences-which shouldn't affect anything that would go in the minutes) I would think that the rules regarding the minutes wouldn't need any modification (except that the Board probably shouldn't be approving the committee's minutes).

What specifically is your question about the minutes?

-Bob

some of our committee members wish to include much of what was said at our meetings for a historical record, and others wish to include only what was done at the meeting. This has been an ongoing debate. Your members have already advised that the minutes should contain what was done and not what was said at the meeting. Now, those who are in favor of a historical record of all comments say that because we are a committee, we may proceed under different rules, and that the version containing the historical view is appropriate.

some of our committee members wish to include much of what was said at our meetings for a historical record,

That is not what the minutes purpose is for. If someone wants a historical record they can write their own record for posterity's sake but it would not be an official committee or organization document unless the Board agrees to it.

Now, those who are in favor of a historical record of all comments say that because we are a committee, we may proceed under different rules, and that the version containing the historical view is appropriate.

RONR does not support their position. Also, unless the bylaws or the Board grants the committee the authority to create their own rules they can't just decide to change the rules (RONR pp. 500-501). If they want to alter the rules for taking the minutes they would need to have the Board grant them that authority.

My question is, since the board requires the submission of our minutes, shouldn't we follow the rule that minutes should contain what was done at the meeting, not what was said?

Yes.

Archived