The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Using another board's definition of terms to determine term limits

Guest Mary Whigham

I am a member of the city library board which has its set of bylaws that define terms as three year with no term limits. 5 of us on that board are "elected" to be presented to that board by our private club that established the library many years ago. Our "club" bylaws indicate 3 year terms with 2 term limit....five of us were so elected 2008 to be presented to the city to serve. The city, to keep a staggered term situation so not all would leave at once, had us draw straws for a 1 year, two year, three year term. I drew a one year term, serving 2008. I reupped with the city for a three year term to end 2011. The club failed to reelect two of us with the one year term in 2010 and this was not caught until this year. I am arguing that our club bylaws trump the city bylaws and that I am eligible to be reelected to a 2nd three year term. Our bylaws committee argued that the one year term the city established constituted my first term and that I only had the 2nd three year term...I was booted out today....whose bylaws are to be followed?

I am arguing that our club bylaws trump the city bylaws and that I am eligible to be reelected to a 2nd three year term. Our bylaws committee argued that the one year term the city established constituted my first term and that I only had the 2nd three year term...I was booted out today....whose bylaws are to be followed?

They do not trump the city bylaws, unless the city bylaws say so.

It is entirely possible to have several conditions of elgibility in separate documments. For example, the club bylaws may say that to be elgible, a board member must be a member of the club for one year. The city bylaws may require the member to be a resident of the city for two years. To be eligible to serve, you would have to be a member of the club for one year and a resident for two years.

Archived