The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reason for Abstaining

Guest Angela

I didn't think so, but I'm expecting some fall out from my decision, so I wanted to be ready to spill the beans if necessary. Now, I get to keep the beans in the can. Yay!

And, if the vote is by ballot, you can submit a blank ballot so no one will even know you abstained. How cool is that?

Thank you Trina !

Must I explain a no vote ?

No. The time to talk about why you intend to vote 'no' is during debate, when there's a chance of persuading other people to your point of view. However, you do not have to say anything even then if you don't want to. Volunteering to explain your 'no' vote after the fact would actually be improper, and certainly no one should be asking you to explain why you voted the way you did.

Why use abstention ?

Under some circumstances, it is best to abstain. If you have a personal or pecuniary interest (in the pending question) not in common with others, you should abstain, though you cannot be compelled to either. In some votes, an abstention has the same effect as a no vote, such as a majority of the members present. It would be possible to help defeat a motion without actually voting against it by abstaining.

But in the general case, you would abstain if you didn't have a preference either way. By abstaining, you are letting the other members decide, and you are willing to accept what the majority decides, either to adopt the motion or defeat it. I can't think of a good reason to abstain in the general case. Perhaps someone will come along with one. RONR says "it is the duty of every member who has an opinion on a question to express it with his vote" (p. 407 ll. 12-14), so if you don't have an opinion at all, well.............

Archived