The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Time Limit to Reintroduce an issue

Richard Crane

For years our club had a safety rule pertaining to how members identified themselves at our facility. A few months ago we changed the requirement through appropriate means, i.e., a motion was made, considered, voted on and approved per our by-laws and Roberts Rules. Now that some time has passed, and we have seen the effect of the new rule, a member made a motion to change the rule yet again. Another member, who did not want to consider the change at the time made the statement that Roberts Rules do not permit reconsidering an issue that has been duly approved of within the first year. I had never heard of this, and thought it was a ruse by that person to force the motion to go away. Before I call the member out on that, is there any truth to this?

Another member, who did not want to consider the change at the time made the statement that Roberts Rules do not permit reconsidering an issue that has been duly approved of within the first year. I had never heard of this, and thought it was a ruse by that person to force the motion to go away. Before I call the member out on that, is there any truth to this?

Absolutely none. Ask him to show you the rule he's referencing.

Another member, who did not want to consider the change at the time made the statement that Roberts Rules do not permit reconsidering an issue that has been duly approved of within the first year.

It may be worth noting (or not) that the word "reconsider" has a very specific parliamentary meaning which differs from how most people might ordinarily use the word and there are, indeed, limits to making a motion to reconsider. But there is certainly no "one-year" rule in RONR. Absolutely none, as Mr. Mervosh succinctly observes.

It may be worth noting (or not) that the word "reconsider" has a very specific parliamentary meaning which differs from how most people might ordinarily use the word and there are, indeed, limits to making a motion to reconsider. But there is certainly no "one-year" rule in RONR. Absolutely none, as Mr. Mervosh succinctly observes.

It might also be worth noting that the two motions Richard should be focusing on are Rescind and Amend Something Previously Adopted, depending on which way the membership wants to go. Richard, Section 35 (RONR 11th Ed.) has the details on both these motions.

I'd also be curious as to where this "rule" is stored. Is it a bylaw? A standing rule? I'd think the answer could have relevance as to how it gets modified, and especially the voting threshold required to do so.

Archived