The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Termination of vp membership

Guest Terry Morgan

I am on the board of a non profit socialclub. Our VP resigned recently. He received a letter at his home (not a nice letter) which was signed by "friends of the social club". We had a special meeting about it. We told him it could be from anyone and maybe not any club member because we don't know who it was from. This vp is the same vp I wrote to you previously about him not allowing the board if directors make nominations at the nomination meeting. My question to you is can we terminate his membership due to the fact of our nomination rights as members were violated?

He already resigned. The BOD would like to terminate his membership from the social club permanently. He has posted on his website that he plans to go the meetings to make sure we follow our bylaws and Roberts rules(which we do). He has said at his resignation that he is going to write letters to certain members whom he thinks wrote him the letter. He is trouble.

Wanting you to follow the By-laws and RONR is perfectly okay. Any member who notices that a meeting is not following either set of groups has the right to insist on the group following both.

What do your By-laws state about rescinding a person's membership in the group? If there is anything, then follow Chapter XX of RONR and hold a trial, etc. as found there.

He already resigned. The BOD would like to terminate his membership from the social club permanently. He has posted on his website that he plans to go the meetings to make sure we follow our bylaws and Roberts rules(which we do). He has said at his resignation that he is going to write letters to certain members whom he thinks wrote him the letter. He is trouble.

Does your board have any such authority under the bylaws? RONR does not give a board any such authority (i.e. the authority to throw a general member out of the organization).

Archived