The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can Committees have their own bylaws?

Guest Travis

Hello,

I'm wondering if a Committee can or should ever have their own bylaws? If it's a permanent committee with their own mission (under the umbrella of a larger organization with bylaws, and a board of directors), couldn't they set up their own guidelines; ie. leadership structure, and bylaws which would only apply to that committee? If it is permitted, what would be the pros and cons of doing having their own set of bylaws?

Thanks,

I'm wondering if a Committee can or should ever have their own bylaws? If it's a permanent committee with their own mission (under the umbrella of a larger organization with bylaws, and a board of directors), couldn't they set up their own guidelines; ie. leadership structure, and bylaws which would only apply to that committee?

A committee may only set up its own rules if so authorized by its parent assembly. Such rules are not in the nature of Bylaws, which are defined as the basic governing document of a society - not a subordinate body such as a committee (RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 12-15, 500-501)

If it is permitted, what would be the pros and cons of doing having their own set of bylaws?

Well, a committee may not have its own Bylaws, but it may have its own rules, either by the parent assembly adopting such rules or authorizing the committee to adopt its own. The advantages would be that the committee's rules could be customized to suit the particular needs of the committee, and if the committee was authorized to adopt these rules itself this would enable the committee to call upon the expertise of its members and avoid conflicts within the larger society (and avoid taking up the larger society's time). The disadvantages would be that having separate rules for a committee could be confusing, and if the committee is authorized to adopt its own rules this takes away the alternate perspectives of other members of the society.

Some reasons a society might have rules for a particular committee (either adopted by the society or by the committee itself) would be if the duties of the committee were especially involved and complex and/or if the committee dealt with sensitive issues (such as the discipline of members). Most committees have no need for their own rules.

If there are any special rules that would apply specifically to that committee, they would be adopted by the parent body, not by the committee itself, and all such rules would have to conform to the bylaws of the society as well.

The committee's parent assembly may authorize a committee to adopt its own rules, either through the parent assembly's rules or by instructions from the parent assembly (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 500, line 25 - pg. 501, line 1). This may be desirable in some cases.

Thank you Josh and Gary this will be helpful in our upcoming discussion at the committee meeting tomorrow. We have a long standing committee in our organization that for whatever reason decided to come up with their own bylaws several years ago. When I took over as Executive Director of the organization a few months ago it seemed really odd to me that this particular committee was set up that way and I've cautiously been trying to correct the situation ever since. Naturally there has been some resistance and fear that "coming back under our umbrella" will somehow take away their autonomy and ability to accomplish their goals. I'm trying to show them that their goals and our organization's goals are the same and it's all part of the larger organizations mission in the community. I think I'm getting somewhere but it's hard to tell sometimes. Any other thoughts or input on the matter are certainly welcome. Thanks again.

The committee's parent assembly may authorize a committee to adopt its own rules, either through the parent assembly's rules or by instructions from the parent assembly (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 500, line 25 - pg. 501, line 1). This may be desirable in some cases.

Well, yes, I suppose it could, within reasonable limits, and applicable within the committee.

I simply meant to stress that It can't give a committee carte blanche to adopt any rules it chooses.

For example a committee authorized to adopt its own rules could not adopt a rule giving itself the right to amend the bylaws. The parent body can delegate only such power as it possesses itself.

Archived