The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proxy vote

Guest newbie123

Hi All,

If members are absent from a meeting in which a vote is taking place, and enter a proxy vote, but the details of what is being voted on changes, does that proxy vote still stand as they voted? If not, how should it be handled?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Hi All,

If members are absent from a meeting in which a vote is taking place, and enter a proxy vote, but the details of what is being voted on changes, does that proxy vote still stand as they voted? If not, how should it be handled?

Thank you in advance for your input.

And now you understand why RONR does not allow proxy voting. Your bylaws must authorize it (do they?), and your rules must work out all the ugly details (they don't, huh?).

And now you understand why RONR does not allow proxy voting. Your bylaws must authorize it (do they?), and your rules must work out all the ugly details (they don't, huh?).

Let me first state that I am new to the boardroom (and not having served on a board before, only committees) I have turned to RONR for some insight. Please bear with me...

I do not see anything in the bylaws that authorize proxy voting, except under a section in regards to a Quorum under "stockholder meetings". That brings me to how I came about RONR because also under "stockholder Meetings", the Parliamentary Rules state: "In the conduct of all meetings of stockholders and the Board of Directors, Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern except where inconsistent with these by-laws." Under the Board of Directors section, or anywhere else in the bylaws, RONR is not mentioned nor is proxy voting. So does this mean by defualt we follow RONR unless the bylaws specify otherwise (which it appears they don't) and if that's the case, then we don't accept proxy voting? I hope that's clearer than mud....

So does this mean by default we follow RONR unless the bylaws specify otherwise (which it appears they don't) and if that's the case, then we don't accept proxy voting?

Maybe.

Your organization (a corporation?) may also be subject to State and/or Federal laws. RONR is the low man on the totem pole.

Archived