The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board not voted on

Guest Susan T.

Our current club's board was from the previous year and was not voted in at the annual meeting. What authority does the current board have since no motion was made at our annual meeting to replace them?

Susan

Our current club's board was from the previous year and was not voted in at the annual meeting. What authority does the current board have since no motion was made at our annual meeting to replace them?

It may be that the current board members remain in office until their successors are elected. Or it may be that you currently have no board members at all.

Do all board members' terms expire at the same time?

Why didn't you elect new board members at the annual meeting?

We did not know at the time that the current by laws stated that their terms expired. In previous years this has not been an issue and we just kept the previous board.

Then why is this year any different?

Do the current board members (all of them?) no longer wish to serve?

In the past, did you simply skip the part about holding elections because the board members wanted to keep their jobs without any competition?

Your situation is still unclear (to me) but the best thing to do ("going forward", as they say) is to follow all your rules, even if they haven't been followed in the past.

[And check back later for replies from the rest of the gang in case I may have completely misread your situation.]

I agree with Guest Edgar, though I am probably not a member of the gang I think he references, unless the gang he references is the Two Fisted Parliamentarians Club (note no hyphen and no apostrophe). I would like to emphasize that this will probably mean holding elections, belated, as soon as possible.

And the answers to Guest Edgar's questions (in both posts 4 and 2) are still critical to the answers that Guest Susan T. is looking for.

I agree with Guest Edgar, though I am probably not a member of the gang I think he references, unless the gang he references is the Two Fisted Parliamentarians Club (note no hyphen and no apostrophe).

If that were the name of the gang I was referring to, it would have had a hyphen.

Elections will be held in two weeks, but there have been some issues with the people the club hired to help with some of the board's acttivities and they are questioning the board's authority to fire them and not asked back next year.

Can a request for a vote of support for the current board members be sent out by email even though our by-laws do not provide for this?

Elections will be held in two weeks, but there have been some issues with the people the club hired to help with some of the board's acttivities and they are questioning the board's authority to fire them and not asked back next year.

Can a request for a vote of support for the current board members be sent out by email even though our by-laws do not provide for this?

How is the term of office of the board members defined (see Edgar's comment at the top of post #2)? That should make it clear whether the board members are still in office or not.

The e-mail 'vote of support' idea is meaningless in terms of parliamentary procedure. The position (and the authority or lack thereof) of the board members would be unchanged by such a vote.

It has been a tradition to not vote on the board if they want to continue in their position unless some one calls for a vote. As I stated so unclearly in my previous vote many do not want to help or serve on the board.

Our current by laws state:

Nomination Procedure, Time of Elections

The officers shall be elected by majority vote of the Program membership at the regular annual meeting in the spring. Nominations shall be made from the floor by members. It is beneficial if the nominees for President have previously served on the Program Executive Board, however this is not required.

Term of Office

The officers shall be elected to serve for one year, and their term of office shall begin at the close of the annual spring meeting at which they are elected. A member may not serve more than two consecutive terms in the same Office.

If that were the name of the gang I was referring to, it would have had a hyphen.

But if it had a hyphen, it would not be the same club.

Susan T,

Since the bylaws prescribe election at the spring annual meeting, no custom is valid that violates this requirement. If your club wants to allow incumbents to choose to continue, then the bylaws must be changed. But technically the board is vacant right now.

Do indeed hold the elections in two weeks, as scheduled. The incumbents should be a shoe-in, if nobody else wants to help out. (You do hold other meetings besides the annual meeting, I hope. If not, then ... ouch ouch ouch.)

(But the bylaws say the elections are at the annual meeting. You should have held the election then. On the other hand, back then, nobody knew what the bylaws said.)

Yes it's sad that lots of people don't want to help, but that does not change the facts.

We have a lot of members who don't want to help.

In that case, it may be that the society has died a natural death and should be disbanded. Sometimes, having that discussion makes people realize that societies depend on their members, and some may come forward and volunteer.

If not, then pass out the shovels.

Archived