The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations

Guest Becky

I am currently a co-president of my daughters PTO and we are doing elections on Wednesday and I have a few questions......

1.) We have a nomination committee and I am on the committee and had no intentions of running for anything next year however I was asked if I wanted to do VP...now at one of our meetings, it was reported (by noone that is on the nomination committee) that you cannot be nominated to be on board if you are part of this commitee. Our bylaws state nothing about not being allowed to be nominated and be on this committee. If it is stated wrong in the minutes, do we need to change those minutes before I can run for a position or since our bylaws state nothing about this, I can run regardless??

2.) We have a person running for co-president and treasurer on the same ballot. THis is allowed right? If so, what happens if they win both positions? Do they pick which one they want and the other position automatically goes to the other person who "lost" the vote??

3.) We never officially closed our nominations so we have been accepting them up until the day of elections as well as accepting write in votes, is this right? Our bylaws only state a date to have nominations turned in by so they can be presented at the meeting the month before the vote but that does not mean that nominating is closed...

I am currently a co-president of my daughters PTO and we are doing elections on Wednesday and I have a few questions......

1.) We have a nomination committee and I am on the committee and had no intentions of running for anything next year however I was asked if I wanted to do VP...now at one of our meetings, it was reported (by noone that is on the nomination committee) that you cannot be nominated to be on board if you are part of this commitee. Our bylaws state nothing about not being allowed to be nominated and be on this committee. If it is stated wrong in the minutes, do we need to change those minutes before I can run for a position or since our bylaws state nothing about this, I can run regardless??

Nothing in RONR prohibits a member of the nominating committee from being nominated; in fact, it specifically states that you can be nominated. However, you shouldn't be serving on the nominating committee, if you are president.

2.) We have a person running for co-president and treasurer on the same ballot. THis is allowed right? If so, what happens if they win both positions? Do they pick which one they want and the other position automatically goes to the other person who "lost" the vote??

It's allowed. The winner chooses the position, and another round of balloting is held for the position still to be filled. He could win that position, too, unless your rules make him ineligible.

3.) We never officially closed our nominations so we have been accepting them up until the day of elections as well as accepting write in votes, is this right? Our bylaws only state a date to have nominations turned in by so they can be presented at the meeting the month before the vote but that does not mean that nominating is closed...

How are you taking write-in votes before the voting? Before the vote, and after the report of the nominating committee, the chair should call for further nominations from the floor.

Ok so that night of the voting we, the nominating committee, ask for other nominations? Then what do we do??? Do we still hold voting that night??

The chair of the meeting, not the nominating committee, asks for further nominations. After it reports, the nominating committee ceases to exist.

You hold the election at the meeting prescribed in the bylaws for the election of officers.

Ok I got it....another questions is, we have in our by laws that there needs to be a ballot and ballot box in the office of the school the day before and the day of voting so those who cannot attend meeting can vote. Does that mean that those who are nominated the night of voting when it is asked for last nominations do not have a chance on that ballot??

Ok I got it....another questions is, we have in our by laws that there needs to be a ballot and ballot box in the office of the school the day before and the day of voting so those who cannot attend meeting can vote. Does that mean that those who are nominated the night of voting when it is asked for last nominations do not have a chance on that ballot??

Unless your rules specifically prevent or prohibit write-in candidates, it is not necessary for someone to be nominated to be elected by ballot.

Ok, I just want to make sure I got this right now.......we had our nominations due by march 30 and they were presented at the april meeting. We got another nomination like 2 weeks ago and added them to the ballot...was that the right way to do it?

By numbers, and not re-treading what Mr Wynn said:

1 (a). Let me emphasize that the minutes are an accurate report of what was done, even if what was done was wrong. Do not ever write them, or later change them

1 ( b ). If the bylaws don't provide for co-presidents, or co-anything, then you really don't have them. (If the bylaws do say you have co-presidents, then we advise you to stop. Co-presidents are a bad idea.)

(re. Post #5) Of course, anyone nominated after people have already started voting are at the disadvantage -- but of course they have a chance.

... And further:

(Post 7.) If your bylaws say that nominations "must" or "are" closed by a certain time, such as March 30, it's arguable, at best, that they can be re-opened after that time. (I won't discuss that can of worms right now.)

Regardless of that, of course that cannot invalidate votes that are cast for people who were nominated after the bylaws' closing date. Those votes for people who were nominated after that date will be counted like other votes. (The nominations process is much less important than the voting process. -- Note that Robert's Rules does not say that: it's my own summary/ interpretation.)

(Certainly, if the PTO does not want to PROHIBIT later nominations, then the bylaws should be changed to say so, explicitly.)

(Sorry, I left out something in transcription.)

1 (a). Let me emphasize that the minutes are an accurate report of what was done, even if what was done was wrong. Do not ever write them, or later change them,

... to say that something happened that didn't. The way to correct such mistakes is for a later meeting to correct them, period -- and the minutes of that meeting will accurately report the correction.

1 ( b ). If the bylaws don't provide for co-presidents, or co-anything, then you really don't have them. (If the bylaws do say you have co-presidents, then we advise you to stop. Co-presidents are a bad idea.)

Nonetheless, co-presidents seem to be a common thing in PTOs, for some reason. The bylaws must provide for this sharing of office, of course, in order for it to be valid.

Just to emphasize this point, the person who "lost" the vote is not elected, since a second-place finish can't get a majority of the vote. You have to vote again, with the person who chose the other post removed, and see how the results might change or not.

Archived