The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President changes her mind after the fact

Tina Marie

At last nights' meeting, a member asked for her expenses to be reimbursed from an event that she attended with three other members whom represented our group as voting delegates. She presented her reciept (per our by-laws) and it was put to a vote. A member moved and another second to reimburse her, motion carried. This member went as an alternate and alternates have been reimbured in the past under said guidelines. Today, well tonight (24 hours late) the president said she told this member that she was not going to be reimbursed and the other members present forgot she had said so. There is nothing in the minutes from that meeting to that effect, only the voting delegates with no mention about an alternate. The president decided to not reimburse this person via e-mail. My question is can she do that- just decide on her own to deny a reimbursement without membership knowledge?

I know drama but a $200 check is on hold.

At last nights' meeting, a member asked for her expenses to be reimbursed from an event that she attended with three other members whom represented our group as voting delegates. She presented her reciept (per our by-laws) and it was put to a vote. A member moved and another second to reimburse her, motion carried. This member went as an alternate and alternates have been reimbured in the past under said guidelines. Today, well tonight (24 hours late) the president said she told this member that she was not going to be reimbursed and the other members present forgot she had said so. There is nothing in the minutes from that meeting to that effect, only the voting delegates with no mention about an alternate. The president decided to not reimburse this person via e-mail. My question is can she do that- just decide on her own to deny a reimbursement without membership knowledge?

I know drama but a $200 check is on hold.

Even if the president did earlier make some such statement, the assembly later ('at last night's meeting') clearly adopted a motion that the member be reimbursed. Failing some quite unusual powers assigned to the office of president in your organization, the decision of the assembly is what counts. As long as the motion to reimburse the alternate doesn't violate a rule in your bylaws (and, you say it doesn't), the motion stands.

Thank you everyone. That is what I thought but I am at my wits end with this person. I appreciate the clarification.

Well, better ask while I am thinking, is there a time limit (if you will) to recind a decision? The President also stated she would like to revisit this issue at our next regular meeting (July).

Thank you everyone. That is what I thought but I am at my wits end with this person. I appreciate the clarification.

Well, better ask while I am thinking, is there a time limit (if you will) to recind a decision? The President also stated she would like to revisit this issue at our next regular meeting (July).

If the motion is carried out, and the assembly's instruction to reimburse the traveling member is followed, there will be nothing left to rescind. Is the person who is supposed to hand over the money (treasurer?) holding off on doing so because of the President's intervention?

Archived