The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Designation of the Nominating Committee

BWatson

Sorry, the UCIOA is the Uniform Common Interest Ownership Act. I have looked over our governing documents. I have not been able to find anywhere that says she can.

I found this in RONR.

RONR (11th ed.), p. 433, ll. 10-21

Designation of the Nominating Committee. The Nominating committee should be elected by the organization wherever possible, or else by its executive board. Although in organizing a new society it may be feasible for the chair to appoint the nominating committee, in an organized society the president should not appoint this committee or be a member of it-ex officio or otherwise. The bylaws may provide that "the President shall appoint all committees except the Nominating Committee ..." and that "the President shall be ex officio a member of all committees except the Nominating Committee ..."; the exception should not be omitted in either case.

So am I safe to say that she should not be able to appoint?

So am I safe to say that she should not be able to appoint?

I think your safe to say that she should not be able to, but that doesn't mean she does not have that authority. You should also take a look at p. 448 for a description of the office of President and the duties as prescribed by RONR. Additionally, take a look at page 456 at line 22 forward, with a focus on line 34 and onward, where it says more than once that the President has duties (beyond those of presiding at meetings) only insofar as the bylaws define them. Of course, higher rules (such as the UCIOA) may have higher authority.

I am an owner at a large condo association that was established in 1986.Our governing documents say we have to go by RONR. We are changing our Declaration and Bylaws to abide by UCIOA.

The President says that she is able to appoint a nomintating committee. Is she correct?

Your bylaws may vary, but as you've noticed, RONR essentially suggests that the President should have as little to do with the Nominating Committee as possible.

Archived