The Official RONR Q & A Forums

is it an official meeting

Guest richard

The Association by-law states, "If a member of the Board of Directors other than an officer shall

cease to be a member of his or her district board of education, he or she shall remain a member of the Board of Directors until the next meeting of the authority which appointed him..."

The next meeting of the appointing authority did not have a quorum, and no business was done. Is this considered an official meeting in the context of the by-law, or does the Board of Director serve until the next meeting with a quorum?

The next meeting of the appointing authority did not have a quorum, and no business was done. Is this considered an official meeting in the context of the by-law, or does the Board of Director serve until the next meeting with a quorum?

The fact that a quorum was or wasn't present has no bearing on the legitimacy of a meeting. It only affects what can and can't be done at the meeting.

Unless the bylaws had something in the "..." region, such as, "...at which a quorum is present" then the "next meeting" appears to mean the next meeting. A meeting at which a quorum is not present is still a meeting. But having not read your bylaws in their entirety, we can't give you a definitive answer.

Was the meeting called to order?

Haven't we previously agreed that, even if not formally called to order, or, for that matter, formally adjourned, if a meeting was properly scheduled (either regularly or specially) and any number of members showed up at the appointed place and time, then the meeting was held?

Hmmm....... not that I recall. Perhaps you'll find the thread and provide a link to it??

Well, I'll leave the research to our resident expert (aka Trina) but I think you'll at least agree that, even if a meeting hasn't been formally adjourned, once everyone leaves the meeting is over. So, by extension, . . .

In any case, I'm not sure we should be grasping at straws to prove that a meeting wasn't held when, in all likelihood, it was.

845fZ8 <--- a rare CAPTCHA code with four numerals and a clearly lower-case "f".

I think you'll at least agree that, even if a meeting hasn't been formally adjourned, once everyone leaves the meeting is over.

Yes.

So, by extension, . . .

Ehhh........ You've still got to win me over on this one. My money's on Trina though. Hope she stops by again soon.

In any case, I'm not sure we should be grasping at straws to prove that a meeting wasn't held when, in all likelihood, it was.

You know what happens when we assume. But I'll concede the likelihood.... for now.

845fZ8 <--- a rare CAPTCHA code with four numerals and a clearly lower-case "f".

Did you have to renew the code over and over to get that, or was that the first one presented to you?

Archived