The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Close nominations

Guest Jeanie

Couple of points:

Seconds are not required for nominations.

Nominations are not "motions" but just proposals for names to be placed on a ballot. The (implied) motion is "Shall [put an X by his/her name] be elected to such and such office?" And the person who gets a majority of X-marks is the winner. On ballots you do not vote "Yes" or "No" for each nominee; just X-mark the one you prefer.

Nominations remain open until, usually, everybody has had a chance to nominate someone. Then the Chair "closes nominations" -- sort of a formality since there is nobody else who wishes to make a nomination.

When a person nominates a person for a position and a person seconds that nomination, do you have to make a motion to close the nominations? Or can it just be 1) nominate 2) seconded 3) motion carried?

And don't forget you still need to hold the actual election. The nominations are just a step in the process.

Since you mention nominations I'll assume this is an election. And that's no way to run an election.

No one is answering my one question. And maybe it is because you don't know. Just say so.

Do you have to say "nominations are now closed" ?? Thank you JD for saying it is a formality.

The chair has to say something of a transitional nature to get from nominations to the elections. He can be informal and just say "Since there appear to be no more nominations for any of the offices, we will proceed to the elections. Will the tellers please pass out the ballots" [or whatever voting system applies]. He, the chair, can't just stand there slack jawed saying nothing after calling for nominations, and getting a few. The presiding officer structures the meeting by guiding the members through the parliamentary steps.

It isn't strictly necessary to say "Nominations are now closed", but it is a nice formal touch that helps to show that the chairman knows what he is doing, in a parliamentary sense. It is a matter of style. Being formal also helps (a lot!) in keeping a meeting strictly to business, and finishing on time.

When a person nominates a person for a position and a person seconds that nomination, do you have to make a motion to close the nominations? Or can it just be 1) nominate 2) seconded 3) motion carried?

Motion? What motion?

It's:

1. Nominate (repeat as needed)
  2. Close nominations (no motion is needed, just wait till nobody wants to nominate anyone else)
  3. Have an election.

Motion? What motion?

I think our Guest has moved on. I'm still wincing from her reply to my post.

Since you mention nominations I'll assume this is an election. And that's no way to run an election.

No one is answering my one question. And maybe it is because you don't know. Just say so.

Archived