The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amendments

Guest Snow White

Or you could treat the whole package for the bylaws as a "General Revision".

That would open up the entire bylaws to possible amendment, instead of any changes needing to fall within the scope of the proposed 30 amendments. And, while 30 sounds like a lot, at least it's a finite number.

Though, just to be clear, Snow, a revision should be considered as a full replacement of the existing bylaws. And while a revision does allow amendments to the bylaws to be moved above and beyond the 30 changes initially proposed, in the end the whole package is voted on as a single document. If it is defeated no changes at all are adopted, either of the 30 initial ones or any others.

By sticking with 30 (separate) amendments, there's the chance that most, if not all, of them might get adopted. The potential problem is if two or more of them are related in some way such that a change to one but not another creates a conflict or ambiguity, you may be in for some troubled times. You might want to read about conforming amendments at the bottom of page 273 (RONR 11th Ed.)

If it is defeated no changes at all are adopted, either of the 30 initial ones or any others.

But it could be adopted with only a very few changes. Maybe only one change.

Notice of a revision is all about the notice. It says nothing about what the end result will look like.

O K, so we debated the amendments and agreed on how they should promoted. We did not vote since we did not have the final draft ready. Once I got home, I decided that I did not like the way a few amendments were presented. When we meet again to vote on the final draft, can I make a motion

to amend some of the amendments? Also, if this is permitted, shouldn't we then adjourn and not vote until we have a cleanly, typed final draft? I do not

trust the president and fear that she may not make corrections to the document.

Yes you can move to amend proposed bylaw amendments. Majority to adopt.

But don't do anything until you have the EXACT text of the proposed amendments before you. Any and ALL adopted amendments, their text, goes in the minutes of the meeting. Later they can be transcribed into the full bylaws document. The "official record" of what you did is the minutes, not the Bylaws document itself. That document is (just) a convenient compendium of all the (adopted) provisions of your bylaws.

If you don't trust your president, see Chapter 20 of RONR.

Archived