The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee - Is it possible for a VP to be on the committee?

Guest Julie Linderman

On our nominating committee for our future board our VP decided she needed to be on the committee. Was this fair and normal proceedure according to Robert's rules?

Well, there's nothing unfair or abnormal about deciding that she needed to be on the committee. But since we don't know whether she in fact ended up on the committee and, if so, by what procedure she accomplished that, it would be difficult to speculate on how fair or normal that procedure was.

If she let people know she wanted to be on the committee, and they voted her on, then I would guess that would be fair and normal.

What, in fact, happened?

Guest Julie Linderman

She elected herself to be on the committee and a three others volunteered to be on the nominating committee for a new PTSA board next year. People that were nominated to be on the future board didn't even get phone calls because the VP decided who would make the cut for next year. This was the craziest thing I've ever seen and no ones objected to her behavior. I'm a 2nd term board member that was re-elected and I want to get more familiar with RONR so I can work on making sure this doesn't happen again next year.

Archived