The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can the Parlimentarian serve as an ex-officio member of the nominating committee

Guest RNEALR

Can the parlimantrian serve as an ex-officio member of the nominating committee?

Nothing in RONR prohibits it and, one presumes, he won't be acting at "the" parliamentarian when he's attending meetings of the nominating committee. In other words, he's free to take off one hat and put on another.

. . . one presumes, he won't be acting at "the" parliamentarian when he's attending meetings of the nominating committee.

Firstly, "at" should be "as".

Secondly, unless the organization wants him to act as the parliamentarian at committee meetings, I'm not sure why it would make him an ex-officio member.

I guess we were thinking we wanted them to act as the parliamentarian at the meetings to ensure we are following the bylaws as we should. But since they are not officially a member of the committee (in which the chapter voted for the members of the committee) we were wondering if they should serve in a ex-officio capacity. Does this make sense?

Not quite. The assembly (or the bylaws) would have to put the Parl. on the NomCom in an ex-officio capacity - he can't just walk in and announce "here I am!"

The members of the committee can (majority vote) invite him to attend as a guest and give advice when requested. If the committee doesn't want him there, the members (majority, again) can kick him out.

Archived